Help with a solar fence

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by chicamarun, Jan 18, 2007.

1. chicamarun

chicamarun Well-Known Member

We have an electric fence that was on the property when we bought it. It was previously hooked up to the electric - however because of not really caring for it or taking care of it - something or someone cut through the actual main wire that hooked it to the fence.

I don't want it to run off my electricity because that bill is high enough at the moment. So I was thinking of hooking it up to a solar battery system - especially since we have a ton of sun where we are - this house appears to me to be originally set up to be as efficient as possible (not by the people we bought it from but from the original owners).

Are there better batteries out there? I am guessing at 5 miles of fencing (it is probably a lot less - but I want to guess higher). Is there anything I need to look for on the current fence to make sure it is hooked up right?

Basically where do I start?

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

3. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Whether you get a hard wired charger of solar/battery powered get a low impedance one - you won't spend as much time clearing grass/weeds off the fence line. It only costs me a couple of bucks a month to run my hard wired charger.

4. widfam

widfam Well-Known Member

I have a solar charger I use on my poultry netting that I bought from www.premier1supplies.com. I purchased a rechargable 12v12ah battery and it lasts about 1 year using it on the netting. I'm not sure what you will use it for I know the netting really uses a lot of juice to run it but any how it cost about $25.00 (cheapest I could find) and lasts about a year. I don't think my electric charger I use on my cow pasture uses anymore then that. I don't have electric to the poultry house yet so I use the solar but if I had a choice I think I would stick with the electric charger. The electric chargers are definetly cheaper to purchase and probably cheaper to run in my opinion.

5. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

the harbor freight one is designed for 8 hours of direct sun....that may be hard to get. i purchase panels from northern tool and build my own solar arrays. but ONLY if 120 volt ac is not available.....120 powered box, dollar for dollar, is more dependable/more powerfull/less trouble in the short or long run than a 12 volt system..

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

A 110v system does not use much electricty at all, and will be a much better, dependable unit. It holds up better.

Would think any handyman type could repair the cut cord for $5 any your current charger would be just fine?

Anyhow, if you want solar, or no 110v is available, get a good solar charger system. About $100 will get you a good enough one. Spending more will get you a better one. Spoending less & you probably won't get good enough to work.

I think you will spend a lot more, fooling around with trying to power a 110v charger with a solar array you put together yourself.

--->Paul

PS: They also sell battery powered chargers,they run on a sealed 6 or 12v battery & need to be recharged every few weeks. I never saw the point to them, as I'd forget to swap batteries, but must have their place.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Use the mains to run the charger if at all possible. The cost is minimal (less than a buck a month) and the output of an AC powered energizer is much greater than any 12 volt unit and the 6 volt units are about useless if you have a large area fenced or if the fence is grown up in weeds. Batteries for a solar unit will cost much more over time than the price of the utility for a mains charger. It is false economy to use a solar unit if mains power is available.

8. chicamarun

chicamarun Well-Known Member

The problem I have is that we would need to re-wire to run it from the old setup. It was orginally designed badly and we had to remove the section of fencing. It would probably need a whole new power set up inside also because of problems in the barn. Mainly what I want to do is have the one main paddock electrified as we don't use it all season but I really want the sheep to stay there. It's in the middle of the field - wide open. I'm going to time the sun light hours there to see - but I think 8 is fine in this open field.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

My solar charger ran nonstop for years in the desert.Just faced it south.

BooBoo :gromit: