Help winterizing my herbs

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Bayside, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Bayside

Bayside Well-Known Member

I have a herb garden and because I'm new with it, I know nothing about winterizing it. I've been covering the plants at night now but they aren't looking so good in the morning when I take the cover off. A co-worker tried to tell me to bring the plants in before we were interupted. Now I'm confused. Do I dig up the plants and bring them inside? Or just clip them and dry the herbs?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

You probably don't have to do anything, unless you want to. Leave the perennials alone (rosemary, oregano, thyme, etc). They should overwinter just fine. For the annuals (basil, cilantro, etc), you could try digging them up and growing them inside but I prefer to just cut and dry them and grow new ones next spring. They are annuals, after all.

3. gothhick

gothhick one big gray area

most everything i had in my garden i harvested and dried already except the mugwort which i'm letting go for right now, and the mint which i transplanted to another location. otherwise, herbs i'm going to do in containers from now on.

4. Bayside

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

In zone 4 in mid Wyoming, I cut them back piled leaves on them. They went through the winter very well. Next spring alot of them will be up through the leaves. Take the leaves off. Or not. I had perinnials, annuals, ect. shadowwalker

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bring the annuals inside in the winter since the days are getting shorter, and the plants will be stressed and you might also be bringing in insect problems like whitelies and fungus gnats. Hard to get rid of them once they are inside and they'll spread quickly to all your other plants too.

7. Bayside

Thank you woodspirit. I left the annuals outside.