Help? Will my kids be premies?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Farmboy, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Farmboy

Farmboy Well-Known Member

I need some advice, and quick. I have a large Boer doe who is due on January 3'rd. However, this morning she didn't eat all of her grain, and tonight she did the same thing. I noticed she has some vaginal swelling and when I checked her tendons, they were gone! (She doesn't have any sort of discharge and her udder is not extremely large.) I'm 99.9 % she's carring triplets. It is dangerous for them to be born this early? What should I do?

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Are you absolutely certain of the due date?? Also, without an ultrasound, how can you be that sure she is carrying triplets? I have had a doe that was huge that had a big single kid & I have had one that was not big at all that had triplets. If she had them this early going by the due date, I doubt they would make it. A week early would probably be OK, but not 3 weeks early. Which makes me think she got bred the cycle before you think she did. There really isn't a whole lot you can do. If she is going to have them early, I don't think you can stop it.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If she's full of kids she doesnt have as much room for food. Its normal for them not to eat as much at one time. And due dates are not set in stone. They can vary a week or 2 either way and still be "normal"

4. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

I too would say, "are you certain of due dates?"--also, i have had tendons "dissapear"..and the doe not kid--i believe sometimes we just aren't feeling the very thinned out ones, and they aren't REALLY gone. Go by the "hollow" on both sides of her tail head--no discharge, not full udder--doesn't really sound like "ready" to kid.(but that can change in a flash) 3 weeks early kids will NOT survive-it is hard to save 1 week early kids--145 days seems to be the earliest they can survive, in my experience. Hopefully, she is just getting ready early-or furthur along than you thought. Keep an eye on the "not eating"-in a very pregnant doe,that can be a sign of danger-i would atleast give her some corn syrup, or honey-just to be safe. If she has just "slowed down" on her eating, that could be just "full of kids"-Let us know! Good luck! :rolleyes:

5. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

How is your girl this morning? I probably would not give her anything sweet..cause I don't think I would want to change her ph. I do think I would keep good hay and water out to her.

One the does that just kidded here..kinda went off her usual about two weeks before. And she laid alot and was swelled. But she was plum full of kids. And it was hard for her to navigate..lol.

Wishing you well..and I hope the date is just off a bit..

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Farmboy, I don't know tht I would worry to much. Now is the date of Jan 3rd , 150 days? Remember a lot of does go at 145 days. I say pamper her and just watch her. I would bet she will be fine. I would not change anything you are going with her. Good Luck, let us know.

7. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

IF she bred on the heat previous to Jan 3, right now would be about 21 days previous; she might actually be due right now. I had a doe BREED but still show heat 21-23 days later. She kidded on the first heat sign, not the second one.
    Good luck.

8. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

Slightly OT illustration but yeah, *I* look like I'm carrying triplets about now, but there's only one in there. Just a little self-pity party. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

9. asher

asher Well-Known Member

Funny - I was looking at some of the big pregnant does pictures and thinking, man, they look like what I feel like when I'm ready to give birth! hehe

(Wishing you a beautiful birth and healthy baby!!!)

10. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

FARMBOY, how is yur doe doing?