Help what's wrong with my buck?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by zameluzza, Nov 9, 2006.

1. zameluzza

zameluzza :)

Hallo there,
    yesterday morning he was alright, then at night he did not eat, was lying down, coughing a little and had some disgarge comming out of his nose, greenish.

my husband gave him some penicillin.
    this morning he is was worse, he gets up he is like drunk! lays down again and screams :(
    hes breething is not normal.

I thought it could be pneumonia, so dh gave him some meds he uses for cattle, don't know the name by hart.
    he did drink a little I gave him some lukewarm water with a tiny bit milk, he is 8 months old.
    please any advice.
    thanks

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

It sounds like pneumonia, try to get some nuflor - florfenicol. If all you have is penn, give him at least 5cc's to start with, and keep him warm. Put a blanket on him. Call your vet. Green snot is most likely bacterial, unless he's regurgitating cud, which can happen with congestion. Don't give him milk, it could cause him to scour. Offer him something he really likes, grain, cut up apple, sunflower seeds, and hay, try to keep him eating. Warm water. Did you take his temp?

3. zameluzza

yes his temperatur is 38.16 celsius.
    my husband just bought nuflor from the vet, it should be delivered later today.
    I will go and put a blanket on him now.
    thanks
    PS: it was not pure milk, just a tiny little to flavor the warm water.
    will post later

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I would also give him probiotics and make sure he has access to baking soda and clean water. I would warm the water a bit.

If I did the conversion correctly his temp is only 101 F. That's below normal.

5. zameluzza

Hello again
    what is probiotics? my husband just left and I have no idea what this is.
    yep I came to 101 temperature to when I looked at a chart.

how much nuflor should I give?
    my husband will bring me some.

6. fishhead

Probiotics is a paste with rumen bacteria in it. You can get it at the feed store. Other people have suggested yogurt or even the cud of another goat.

Probiotics comes in a big syringe looking dispenser.

7. fishhead

If you give antiobiotics you run the risk of killing off the bacteria in the rumen that make it work. That's serious. The probiotics restores the bacteria to the rumen and gives you some insurance that the rumen stays working. It can be given whenever a goat doesn't feel well.

The baking soda is to keep the pH of the rumen stable. The rumen bacteria like a steady pH and food supply.

I am not an experienced goat raiser but I would think a goat that hurts when it lays down might be an indication of something going on in the rumen and not necessarily pneumonia.

There is a illness associated with below normal temp but I can't remember what it is.

Anyone?

8. fishhead

How tight is his belly?

If it's tighter than normal I would walk him preferably up and down some hills and get some probiotics into him as soon as you can. I would also make sure he gets a small handful of baking soda.

9. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Sometimes probiotics comes in a big capsule shaped pill, especially if your local feed store carries cattle products. You can just cut it in half and grind it up, mix it with water in a syringe and squirt it in his mouth. However, in a pinch, some cultured yogurt works very well. If it's pneumonia, you'll see a big improvement with the nuflor in 24 hours. The subnormal temp makes me think this is pneumonia - I even hang a heat lamp over my goats. Good luck and let us know how he's doing.

10. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

One more thing - don't let him lay down too long. Prop him up on with hay bales or something so he's at least laying upright. If you can, help him up and steady him. You might even rig a sling to get him on his feet for awhile. It will be easier for him to breathe, for his gut to keep working, and for him to eliminate.

11. zameluzza

I will try to do everything right, I don't have jogurt here,
    is it possible to use calf rennet, or yogurt culture?

husband said he can not give him more meds, he injected some bovine respiratory infection mads, and he thinks that we have to wait 24 hr till giving some more meds.

what is cud?

see I don't know much about goats :(

12. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Well, I give penn every 6-8 hours when my goats are down with a bacterial infection. I've given nuflor on a 12 hour cycle. Since I don't know what he gave them I don't know. If it were me, I'd give him the nuflor as soon as I got it home. Mixing antibiotics isn't going to hurt him at this point. Yogurt culture is fine. Is he any better since your husband gave him the injection? Maybe you could post what it was he gave him..

13. fishhead

Cud is the plants that the goat ate and moves it from the rumen back up to the mouth to re-chew. If you watch a goat you'll see a lump move up the throat and then the goat will chew a while. Then the lump moves back down the throat. That's cud.

If you have a large animal vet experienced with goats anywhere near you I would call them to see if you can combine or replace the antibiotic already given. Most are willing to give some help over the phone. If there are any goat raisers nearby they might be a good source of experience too.

It sounds like calf rennet has an enzyme for digesting milk and probably wouldn't have any benefit.

The yogurt or probiotics is what you will need.

14. zameluzza

thanks everyone,
    I finnaly reached my husband, he said he injected 3cc of Adspec
    http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overview.asp?drug=AD&country=US&lang=EN&species=DA

and I just came in from the barn, I separeted him from the other animals.
    He eats a little hay, neighbour gave me some yogurt, gave that and a little bakingsoda.
    he has lukewarm water and I will go and look at him soon.
    he is still down, but not on his side, each time I get him up he stays a little like that then he goes down again,
    he did go up by himself and got some hay :)
    I do hope he pulls throught.

dh will be back at 8pm can I give nuflor on top of Adspec? if yes how much do I give him?

thanks again to everyone trying to help me with "TOM"

Carmen

15. fishhead

How's Tom?

I can't help you with the nuflor. You can do a search on this site and read what others have done.

That's good that he's still got an appetite. For energy you can give him some molasses or karo syrup.

16. zameluzza

Hi everyone,
    This morning he is a little better, he stands more, drinks warm water and he pooped :)

I will go and take his temperature now, his ears are freezing cold.

dh gave him nuflor,
    will post back later
    here 2 pictures of him from last night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. fishhead

That's good news!

18. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

glad he is doing better. He is awfully handsome in his shirt! May want to continue that trend. Maybe something in plaid!

Must be he is feeling better if he is eating and pooping. In all the animals we do if they are off food or not going to the bathroom we know they are in trouble. He looks like he is still a little low key still.

19. zameluzza

Hi everyone,
    I took his temperature and it's 38.60 celsius so about 101-102 farenheit
    he eats a little but coughs,

went to the feedstore and asked for probiotics, the guy looked at me as I was from the moon and said "say again"!!
    he does not have it or eaven heard about it, is there another name for that?
    I'm in Canada could this be the reason?

I bought some yogurt, so that is on hand now.

Carmen
    PS: vtfarma I think he looks strange *LOL* in his shirt!

20. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Someone else on this board (or maybe another one on here) that lives in Canada said that probiotics isn't carried over there.

Don't know about shipping it in, but you could order it from Jeffers Livestock supply. Make sure to get the one for ruminents. They carry it for equine, too.

Good luck.