help, what is this?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tabitha, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

we bought 10 fruit trees in pots at a nursery last fall, half price, we felt we got a bargain. this spring the apricots did not leaf out. It was not THAT cold here in Kentucky....then we noticed last week there were some yellow, needle like things sticking out of the trunk which turned out to be sawdust. My husband dug out the trees, cut them up and discarded them. This morning I noticed that an appletree is dying and has the same yellow sawdust needles sticking out of the bark. at the rate this is going we are going to lose our little orchard. Does someone know what this is, what it is called? I know it must be some kind of insect. I am also wondering if we picked this up at the nursery or if the trees caught whatever it is here at the homestead.
    Thank you for any advice.

2. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/IPM.asp?code=227&group=22&level=c
    Heres one possibility reported from the Missouri Botanical Garden.
    The most obvious symptom of peachtree borer damage is the presence of gummy sawdust (frass) at the feeding sites. Vulnerable trees include apricots, cherries, peaches and plums.
    Go to the website and scroll down to: Specific recommendations for fruit trees.​

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

You can also contact your nearest garden centers & nurseries for advice.

4. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Imediately contact your local county extension office. They will come out and see what you have there. It may be something very treatable

5. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

thank you for the advice. no, it is not peachtre borer, I am familiar with that and have planted garlic around the peaches when I set them out to discourage the peachtree borer. there is nothing gummy about the "frass", it is very tiny, like an orange needle tip sticking out that is easely brushed away like dust. My mother in law always claimed there is n o use calling the extension office, they never were able to help her when she called them, I guess that is why it did not cross my mind.

6. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

How far away are your apple trees from the nearest pollenating ceader trees? I have seen this before and I belive it may be what is known as rust, or apple rust. You can get information on this from your county extention agent. I hope this helps.

7. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

There is a wasp in that spot,I know you cant see a hole but trust me.It is a tree wasp.They will bore under the bark then in to tree they have a long tail that looks like a stinger but is not that will be the last part to emerge when they come out.They where a larve before that is what killed the tree but when they emerge they lay eggs in your other trees.Miw up lime and water to the consistincy of thick cream or paint and paint up your trunks to the first limb or about two feet up.This will keep them from laying eggs,you will need to spray insect killer on the all ready infected trees but you will have little hope of sucess as the larva is in deep but try and when dry paint them with the lime.