Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right First a picture

house2.jpg

There it is, how it was when the previous owner moved out. you see that one square of workspace.. well that's it, nothing more, I really can't work in that I need more room!

Our washer will fit where hers is without being higher than the surface, but our fridge won't fit there becasue it would hit the ceiling, so it will have to go somewhere else. There is another window you can't see just behind the fridge, it's slightly lower than the one you can see at the front, and the door to the livingroom is behind the wardrobe. The cooker will be that one, and it can't really move as that's where the hood is (the cabinet next to it houses the gas botttle.) Due to cost constraints. i.e we have no money those blue tiles are staying though I am open to the wardrobe that's doing service as kitchen cupbords being evicted!

The room is about 18ft long 8ft wide and 5'10" high to the beams.

What would people do with it to give more workspace, I have decent woodworking skills.. but not very much money!

PS. wait till you see the livingroom, that ceiling in here? well it matches, the walls are the same wood, as is the door and the floor, sigh.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I would start with the blue on the ceiling. It doesn't match the blue tile. I kinda like the color of that blue tile. Otherwise. Hmmm. Thinking more. Lol.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I have more questions than answers and sorry for that. Is there a way to remove that raised platform under the dishwasher/fridge and set the appliances level with the floor?

I'm guessing your cooker is a gas range/cookstove too like the one pictured? or not?

The wardrobe is ok but seems extremely large for the space. Is there something smaller that could be used?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Considering I would hit my head on the beams just walking through the room, first order would be to find a way to get rid of those.
They are unfortunatly structual and not decoration, the entire house has them. Luckily I'm 5'7" and he's 5'6" so we can get through all the rooms and doors head intact.

I have more questions than answers and sorry for that. Is there a way to remove that raised platform under the dishwasher/fridge and set the appliances level with the floor?

I'm guessing your cooker is a gas range/cookstove too like the one pictured? or not?

The wardrobe is ok but seems extremely large for the space. Is there something smaller that could be used?
I like the idea of getting rid of the block, I can't see the point of it personaly, but it seems "traditional" here. The cooker is that one, we bought it from the seller.
The cooker and it's cabinet are recessed into the old chimney so the wardrobe looks even bigger than it is as it isn't recessed.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
Paint the beams white. They clash with the blue tile, just that one change would improve the look a lot.

Can you take out the big pantry/wardrobe cabinet and put in a base cabinet and an upper there? That would be about the same amount of storage and give you more counter space.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
One further question: What is taking up the space that the camera person is
using? Depending on your answer, I might suggest that you remove the cabinet/
wardrobe and place it in that position and then put in MORE counter space in the
area that is now vacant. Of course......if there is something already in the area
where the camera is, that can't be removed or replaced.....well.....then,
back to the drawing board.

Reactions: Skandi

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the counter space to the left of the sink? Looks like there is a drain board there.
Yup draining board and about 6 inches past it.

One further question: What is taking up the space that the camera person is
using?
Door to the hall, the space just to the right is another door to the smallest bedroom.

I'm thinking of taking the counter all the way down the left hand side to the far wall, not having a table there since the dining table is going to be just through the door you can't see. and moving the wardrobe onto that wall/build fitted cupboards to fit. Plus either having a very thin surface (more a shelf) on that right hand side or a foldup table or leaving the wall bare.

The windows are east facing onto the courtyard, but get very little sun as there is a high barn on the other side. So the room is dark.

I was thinking maybe painting that ceiling white? and the far wall is some kind of fake wood, that also has to go, but if I build a set of cupboards there.. won't be able to see it anyway!

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Just my suggestion and following path of least resistance, move the white wardrobe to the wall where table is located; build a work surface table where the wardrobe stood and make it narrow to fit the space and not stick out into the traffic area. Remove, if possible without exposing hidden pipes and so forth, the block and use the surface of the dishwasher to extend the workspace there. Hopefully your fridge would now fit between the dishwasher and window.

And then there's that ceiling. As I sit here and absorb it all the ceiling looks like it needs to be the floor. It's such a kitschy idea that it's almost comical and I could imagine some interesting conversations from guests about it and if I decided to keep it then I'd also keep it as the same color scheme. Even the red and white curtains bounce off it as a kitsch focus. Throw a bright red rug on the floor and you've got a gem of a space to do some wild cooking. :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the fridge doesn't fit there after moving the block I would scream, I'm pretty sure it will, if not it will live in the barn untill we can buy one that would.

And then there's that ceiling. As I sit here and absorb it all the ceiling looks like it needs to be the floor.
Every Single Room has that ceiling, with various colours of beams.. I'm going to do one room at a time so in a few months I'll ask about this room, but here, have a sneak preview look at the decorating crime that has been commited here.
house3.jpg

The furniture is not mine :p oh and under that carpet? a very nice wooden floor, that matches the walls, and the ceiling and the door... sigh. wooden panneled ceilings or walls are really common here, but not normaly both in the same room.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Every Single Room has that ceiling, with various colours of beams.. I'm going to do one room at a time so in a few months I'll ask about this room, but here, have a sneak preview look at the decorating crime that has been commited here.
The furniture is not mine :p oh and under that carpet? a very nice wooden floor, that matches the walls, and the ceiling and the door... sigh. wooden panneled ceilings or walls are really common here, but not normaly both in the same room.
You know what? It has a certain storybook charm to it, don't you think? I mean, it's not like you're going to change the interior of the entire house so may as well get used to finding some theory that helps the acceptance of it. I'll share this: a good friend of mine was in a similar situation with her first new to her home. She was in tears over the interior look of the place. It had a surprisingly similar look to your home's interior. Her home was built originally as a park ranger's home and looked every bit like it belonged in a state park. But not to be deterred, she had an upper story built onto the home that was a massively sized master bedroom/bath with all the features she missed not having in the rest of the house. She had a massive skylight installed over her bathroom that was amazing at night for viewing the constellations, moon, stars. And then off the back of the bedroom she had a large deck built that was home to her outdoor black cat Jack. This deck was a major feat in construction as it juts out over a massive cliff and the only entrance to the deck is either through her bedroom or do like the cat and skinny up the closest tree. She also wanted a screen porch and built that on one end of the deck up next to the house's exterior that best caught the breezes and winds that blew through the mountains. She put all her granny's old rattan porch furniture in it along with her huge collection of potted ferns. My friend has since passed on but I'm certain whomever is now in that home is enjoying her special touches to that home. So, if your plans are to stay there awhile, maybe dream of the special touches you'd like to make to your home and all good fortune to you and yours.
:kiss:

·
23,497 Posts
I would paint the ceiling, beams, and the paneled wall white. I also agree with lowering the washer and dryer and moving the cupboard to the paneled wall. I would put a counter of some sort along the wall where the cupboard/wardrobe was. The blue tile is not too bad. I like blue and yellow together so I might use some light yellow accents. Show us a photo when you complete it.

In the living room, I would again paint the ceiling to make the room seem bigger and break it up a little.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Take out the wardrobe and replace it with a traditional counter with lower drawers and upper cabinets. Move the coffee maker to the drainboard. Isn’t that a dishwasher? Keep the dish rack under the sink when not in use so you can use that area as your coffee area.The dishwasher is probably raised so she wouldn’t have to bend too low when loading and unloading. One of my friend’s did that also. It works, but messes up the counter. Rearrange the shelves above the dishwasher and put your microwave on a shelf there so you can use the top of the dishwasher and have the microwave low enough you don’t end up spilling stuff when you use it. Put a cabinet above the refrigerator for things you don’t use often.

If you don’t need the dishwasher set up high you may be able to lower it.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
There is no law that says the coffee maker must be in the kitchen.
Maybe you could make a coffee center in the dining room area?

Find an older credenza or dresser or hutch and put it in the dining room and put the coffee maker and all of the cups, coffee, sugar etc.. right there with it.
My friend had no room in her kitchen and made a lovely coffee/tea center in a large hallway off the kitchen. It looks great! and is so quaint.

You could store little used items in the shelves down below as well.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ah.....I like all the wood : ) But then, what do I know?
i love all the wood too.

One thing that I noticed in the pictures is furniture colors are blah. I think if a person put pops of colors here and there the wood would be a fantastic look.

I wouldn't paint the wood.... thats just wrong IMO

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
I like the wood ceilings, too. Not so keen on the wood paneled walls in the living room, but it is solid wood and not the imitation wood paneling by the look of it. So that quality product, even if it's a little dated, should stay. That grey carpet clashes with all the warm wood tones, IMHO. A colorful area rug, some coordinating throws and pillows on the furniture, the room just needs some color. And some fresh white curtains. Notice how that white lampshade just pops against the wood? Well some nice white cotton curtains at the window would do the same.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have a similar situation. Can you put frig where big cupboard is? We have dishwasher where you have washer, ours is level. We have a wall just past dishwasher non weight bearing. We are knocking that out and continuing counter on left. Biggest hindrance for us overhead cupboards old a narrow, and we're short so they are coming out.
The blue doesn't bother me as much as lack of counter space.
We have also put vinyl flooring in one bedroom and bathrooms, wonderful, goes in one piece doesn't have to be glued, is cushy, easy to clean. A little spendy but soooo nice.
Like you because of finances we are doing this a bit at a time so we are buying generic cupboards that way we can get them one or two at a time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts