Help! Well Problem

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by poppymiller, Sep 6, 2005.

1. poppymiller

poppymiller New Member

Here is the problem, sure hope someone has an idea of what the solution is:

The pressure in our well dropped, but we still had water. DH checked the pressure switch and 2 of the contacts looked a bit burnt, so he replaced it. Now we have no water at all. The well is a sunken one with the tank and motor on top. Electric. I would certainly appreciate any suggestions. BTW, I asked if it needed primed, but DH said there is no where to add water. TIA, Poppy

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................First off since you've replaced your pressure switch , next I'd check the operation of your pressure tank. The newer tanks have a valve stem , usually on top that allows you to add or release air from the rubber air bladder inside of the tank . you should know what the lowside\kick in pressure IS and what the highside\cutoff pressure IS . And , you should have a pressure gauge on the "T" where the pump , pumps water into the tank . Turn on the water in a sink and allow ALL water to drain from the pressure tank , with the pump , turned OFF . NOw , take a tire pressure gauge and check the pressure(i'm assuming you have an air bladder in your tank) , if the pressure is PREset at 40\60 then your air pressure in your air bladder should be around 38 psi , just alittle lower than the kickin pressure , if low ADD air or release if too high . Now , turn the pump back ON and allow the tank to fill and observe the kickout pressure . OF , course , IF this is what is taking place I suppose you could ALmost say that the pump is working , Normally . ONe observation , IF your air bladder is Holding the correct air pressure IT is Probably OK and the problem is located with the pump or maybe you have a defective check valve that is Not opening properly . LOts of knowledgeable people hereabouts who will walk you thru the "fix" if you will communicate with us . fordy.. :)

3. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

At the bottom of your well is a check valve check it out it has a spring that keeps water in pipe so you dont loose prime.

4. arky64

arky64 Member

sounds like your foot valve may have something clogging it, i had a acorn in mine a couple of years ago, to check you need to unhook your out going water line from pump and pull pump out of well, it should have 2 lines on it, and at the end of those lines is the foot valve, see if it is stuck open.
    this is assuming you have a shallow well pump !!!!!!!! ed

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

We just replaced our pump 2 weeks ago. We had water, but the pump would run to fill up and then gradually leak out and have to run again. We caught it before the pump burned itself out from running almost constantly. The valve on the pump was bad. Just another 21 year old appliance that we have replaced this summer. This one only $1300!

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

On my dug well, the jet pump can be primed by removing the pressure gauge and priming through the opening. You might try that. If the pump is running, and the well has water, this may well be your solution. Good luck.

7. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

Ok, let's start with the basics....

If there is no water coming out of the faucet, no water pressure in the house the switch should be trying to run the pump, right?....

Can you hear the pump running? If not take a volt meter and see if you have electricity out at the pump...

If no pump running and no electricity out there at the pump...is there voltage at the output side of the pressure switch? If so, there is a switch turned off between the pressure switch and the pump or a bad connection in there somewhere.

If there is no voltage coming out of the switch, is there voltage going into the switch? Does this new switch maybe hook up differently than the old one? ( I'm politely trying to say it could be hooked up wrong. )

Check that there is power to the switch, that the switch activates when the power is turned on to it when the water pressure is below it's turn on point...
    you should hear a click.

8. poppymiller

poppymiller New Member

Thanks for all of the fast replys! DH hates puters and was very impressed I got him so much info. Steve in Texas helped us find the place to add water. It got us water back but very very slow and hardly any pressure. Well man came out this morning. The foot valve was shot, the leathers were bad and one of the buried lines has broken. Well man said gotta call a plumber for that. So, since DH had to leave to Texas today to deliver a boat, we called a plumber. Waiting for tomorrow. The good part is that DH and the well man talked alot, Bill helped him with the well and in turn the well man invited Bill to go out with him on some of his runs to learn more about wells. There is always a bright light. Thanks for all the great information. Poppy