Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,707 Posts
Did he try to run it that way? If so , remove the spark plug and crank for a few minutes, intemittantly, it to pump out any water that may be in the cylinders.
Mixing a few ounces of alcohol with the new tank of gas will absorb any remaining water and let it burn through

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would also take the bowl off the carburator to remove that amount of water. If an air tank is available I would stick the air hose in the tank, put a rag around the gas tank and blow out the tank and fuel line. Adding a little dry gas or methanol will be added insurance for removing the water.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
If he filled it with water then the only thing that you can do is to drain it.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,707 Posts
Ravenlost said:
I was wrong. He told me last night he did try to start it.
Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and drain it. Youll need a new fuel filter also. Take out the spark plug(s) and crank it several times to pump out any water in the cylinder . Spray a little WD 40 in the cylinder and replace the spark plug.

Once all that is done, refill with fresh gas with a little rubbing alcohol mixed in.

Leave the air filter off and try to start it. If it doesnt fire right up, pour a LITTLE gas ( just a few drops) in the carb and try again

Good luck

·
Thats MR. Redneck to you
829 Posts
if it is a push mower,, pick it up turn it over and drain it. If he did try to start it drain the bowl, big nut on the bottom of the carb. something like a 9/16ths. open it up and let it drain out. If it is a riding mower pull the fuel line from the carb and drain it out in a bucket. same thing with the bowl drain. drain it untill you have real gas. you can remove the air filter and use either or a clean armor all spray bottle with gas in it ( my prefferance over either) and hit the opening of the carb with a shot or two of pure gas, listen to the engine and keep it running with the 'shots' pretty soon it should be back to normal!

·
Registered
940 Posts
storing gasoline in properly marked red containers. and water in clear jugs.. hated to have seen him make a half gallon of kool aid up with the gasoline. smile

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
ericjeeper said:
storing gasoline in properly marked red containers. and water in clear jugs.. hated to have seen him make a half gallon of kool aid up with the gasoline. smile
or a gallon of gas on the ground or pond!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts