Help Washer Woes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dana, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Dana

Dana New Member

I have an old Maytag washer that overfilled and ran water everywhere. The water would not cut off. Is there anyway I can fix this myself? I am sure some sort of timer is screwed up and needs replacing.I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I can handle most anything out in th barn, but could not fix an appliance with a gun to my head.

What I do is go to repairclinic.com.

Hit the link for the machine you have a problem with. Then hit the link with your problem. Then see the part you need. etc.

I have used this site twice, and fixed dishwasher (broken latch) and dryer (some temp control thing).

Good site.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............There should BE a shutoff valve behind the machine , if you can simlpy pull it out away from the wall it should be accessable and easy to shutoff . fordy.. :)

4. mountaingrl64

mountaingrl64 New Member

I fix appliances, theres a water level switch that goes out. When the water level rises in the tub it pushes air into a tube, that activates the switch,and shuts the water off at the right level. If it goes out, water will continue to run, and machine will not know when to begin the wash cycle. it's behind your water level knob. unplug the machine, on the right and left side of the machines headboard, where all the controls are you'll see a screw. remove those screws. lift the headboard up a little and tilt it back. Remove the knob that you turn to select load size, just pull it off. Under that you will see screws that hold on a big gold thing, with a hose attached. This is your water level switch. remove the screws, When you have the new one its easier if you hole the new one nexet to the old one (still connected,) and switch the electrical wires over from old to new one by one so as to place them correctly. once you have all the wires on , screw the new one in place replace the knowb, put the head board back down, screw it back down, plug up the machine and there ya go.

Before ya do all this contact me, so I have all the symptoms of your washer correct, before you invest money. This part can be bought used, I can tell you how you can check a used one.

My nic-name is mrs fixit

5. kate

kate Well-Known Member

this happened to me a long time ago, dirt from the well, got under a seal and would not let water shut off. check the screens everywhere. is your well water clean or does it have sand in it?

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I agree with Kate on what might have caused the problem. Take the hot and cold water hoses off the back of your washer (after turning the water off first of course). See if you see dome-shaped screen there (may be in the hose connector or in the machine). If not, then what may have happened is dirt from the water line got into the machine and clogged a valve there. Whatever the problem is, do not use again before cleaning the screens (if there) or putting them in if not. Had the same thing happen to me and lack of the screens caused it - according to the serviceman.

If the screens are clogged, then clean them and try the washer again. A slow-filling washer is a good sign of clogged screens.

Ken Scharabok