Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has to be because of all of the rain lately, but dang there are about 10 million little bitty blackflies around my place and they bite really hard for such little guys. The goats and cows aren't too bad, because we powdered them with repellent, but what about me!!!!!? Is there something I can sprinkle around the house and barn areas that won't harm the chickens or dogs or goats, etc., that will do something about these guys?

Ruth

·
Registered
530 Posts
just keep moving really fast when you are out there.

They will last about two weeks and be gone most of the time.

The bite seems to stick with you though. Even weeks later it might come back and itch.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
They are bad around here as well. The dang yellow flies are mean as heck this year. I had one bite me in the garden 2 weeks ago, and you should see what it did to my arm. I had a knot swell up the size of a baseball. Then the dang thing busted and drained out all kinds of nasty garbage.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooh, Ed, yummy...thanks for sharing that :rolleyes:

The biggest problem with the little buggers is that you don't see them coming. They're so very tiny, and they're on you when you're feeding, or milking, or walking, or hanging out, or watering...I need help!!!!!

Ruth

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Tell me about 'em! Every year in CO for at least a month. And it's always the month when you rreally want to be outside. That's why I made gnat suits. It was the only way to make it bearable. And they thrived on any kind of repellant. Unlike the people!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wear clothes covering everything you can, and a head net hat. Tuck pants legs into socks, etc. A full wetsuit MIGHT keep them off everything except your face. :D :no:

Good luck!

U

·
0 Posts
Some people have had luck with B1 for some flying/biting insects - old fisherman's trick.
Try avon's skin so soft - good for deer flies and misquitos.
Sprays with deet also work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts