Help This Is A Real Emergency!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Aug 11, 2005.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Also remember that she WILL grow during the pregnency so when she does kid she will be bigger than she is now. So say she is a month pregnent then you have 4 more months.

MotherClucker

2. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

My doe did a similar thing. We didn't realize they could get pregnant so soon. She began developing udders at about 4 months of age. Appeared to be pregnant, all signs pointed to it. Several months later, she went through labor, up down huffing and puffing and then just stopped as quick as it started. False pregnancy... Even if she is pregnant, she will grow and by the time she is ready to deliver, she will be much larger than she is now. Just relax and let nature takes its course. Make sure she is separated so she won't get pregnant in case she isn't.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

what i would do is go to the vet and let him give her an injection. she is way too young for kids. with one month into pregnancy i don't see any reason why you should risk her life because she is too little and too young.
    i read in your posts that you have boer goats. is she a mix with boer?
    if she is breed to a boer the kids can be very big. that would be another reason not to let her go to term.
    susanne

4. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Is this a pygmy doe bred to a boer buck? :confused:

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Even if she is 1 month pregnant, you would not be able to feel anything. Lots of goats get udders as young does, and there is nothing to worry about. She would not start showing the pregnancy until about day 100 of the 150 day pregnancy, what you are looking as it a well fed goat. Goats have 4 stomachs and one, the rumen filled with all the grain and hay and browse you feed her is huge, and all packed into that small, cobby, short bodied goat it looks even bigger. If you think she may be bred than get a 2cc shot of lutelyse from the vet or go to the vet with her. 36 hours after the shot and she will either abort or come back into heat.

Aborting stock after day 12 when the implantation period is over is not harmful or stressful to the doe. Lutelyse empties the contents of the uterus be it from a 3 week old fetus to a full term kid. Labor is labor and it is much easier for a young doe to pass 1 to 3 preterm kids than it is for her to pass full term kids when she herself is not large enough or she is bred to a buck of a larger breed.

Yes most experienced breeders would abort this pregnancy, and yes if they didn't they would have the skill to kid out a doe this young or know when a C section is a must, before the loss of the doe and kids. But, banding or selling of buckling sibilings right after 8 weeks old, and keeping the mature buck with the adult doe herd, moving does who have kidded into maternity pens, selling or banding their male kids at 8 weeks, and letting her live in this pen with her daughters until you want her bred again, is really the best way to handle the herd who lives together.

Good luck with this, glad you are on the internet to find out all points of view. Vicki

6. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

Your goat could be pregnant but I doubt she is. If she is only two months along her belly wouldn't be that big from kids yet. It's probably from being well fed or a false pregnancy. Your vet could probably ultra sound her to be sure. If she is pregnant I would abort now. Pygmies are notorious for having difficult deliveries anyway.

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Thank you so much everybody, it's really nice to know that it could be false pregnacy or that she just has udders and no baby. She is a pygmy and if she is pregnant it would not be to a Boer, it would either be her brother or her father, and both are pygmies. The reason we had her with her father was because we did not have our maternity pens built in yet, we do now, and her mother, her, and all her siblings had to be moved out of the dog kennel to make way for an extremly pregnant doe. Also I think that it would be too late to abort because a lot of people are saying not if she over a month or not at all. Also today I looked at her, forgeting that she is only 4 months old, and realized that she might actually be big enough to pull it through, although I really hope she isn't pregnant. At 4 months old she is already over half the size of her mother, who is 2 years old. I think she is gong to be o.k now and thank you all for your wonderful advice and support, hopefully all will be fine.

8. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

reckon i am just lucky with all the pygmys i have I have never had a ruff birthing with them....now my nubian she was a different story all around...I got me a lil pygmy doe few months back that I hope to breed come next spring but not sure as she is very very small at 7 months old....she is as small as my 3 month olds and doesnt seem to be growing any at all....she was a rescue and the farm she came from didnt tend the goats at all...inbreeding, illness, broken limbs and horns...so on but she is beautiful and to look at her she is correct other then being really short...pray she grows some so I can breed her....got a nice lil white buck for her lined up lol...dale anne

9. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I think it would be safe to abort as long as she isn't over like 2 to 2 1/2 months pregnent. I was thinking she was longer but if she is under like 2 months pregnency I would say ya you can abort her.

MotherClucker

10. Goat Freak

Well thanks for the information everybody, you all have been so helpful. Thanks again.

11. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I don't know if she is pregnant or not. IF I had to guess I would say no..but .. stranger things have happened!

I just wanted to say I have had a couple of young Saanen does that have started little udders a growin..and they were not pregnant.

I don't know a thing about pygmys (not even how to spell it!) but I wish you well.

12. Goat Freak

Well do you think it could be the same thing with her, even if she is a Pygmy, anybody. By the way Sher for not knowing how to spell it, you sure got it right, LOL.

13. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

Goats are so much like deer and who is out there keeping the buck away from the 4mos old or older does? Nature is a wonderful thing, but with our domesticated animals I do try to wait until they are 8 mos or 100lbs before I let them in with a buck although I let kids (buck and does) run for about 4 mos and have never had a pregnancy from that. Hope all goes well.

14. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If you think she really could have been impregnated two months ago she can be sonogramed to detect pregnancy. I personally would lutalyse her if this is the case. Have you noticed any heat symptoms from her? Pgymies especially need a bit longer to mature and ideally shouldn't be bred until a year old. But of course, every individual is different and many deliver just fine when bred sooner. But the age of your girl is not a kidding you want this soon!

15. Goat Freak

Yeah someone told us they couldn't get pregnant until 4 months old then someone said 2 months and she started having"symptoms" so I freaked out. Thanks though.