Help!!!!!!! Stray Dog Killed All My Chickens

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chrisl, Nov 1, 2006.

1. chrisl

chrisl Well-Known Member

Was wondering if anyone out there had some black austrolorp chickens. A stray dog ventured by our place yesterday and killed all 10 of my Black Aust. laying hens and all ten of my buckeye's, along with an old family white rock pet. We are in need of some layers, would perfer black austrolorps but any hardy winter layer would work.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Did you kill the dog? If not, you will lose whatever new ones you get. Sorry about the loss.

3. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

I am so sorry- I would be so mad, I hope someone can help you- :(

4. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss!!!

Have you called your local feed stores? I was given a couple of names by each of the stores that I called, when I needed some additional layers. There may also be a poultry auction in your area that you can attend.

5. afrikaner

afrikaner Well-Known Member

I would seriously re-consider getting more chickens if the dog is not killed/captured. Or at least build a dog proof area to keep the new chickens in.
    I'm so sorry for your loss. It is really cutting into a family's livelihood. I would go after the dog first. Some folks think a $200 tax stamp for a silencer is a waste, I see it as an investment.

6. bonsai jim

bonsai jim Well-Known Member

I feel for you- about two weeks ago I had the same thing happen.

Luckily I had pulled all my wife's layers and my best roosters into another building because a buddy of mine wanted to do some trading and what was left in there was the "culls". Unfortunately my 6 guinea hens were in there too...

So... I was out about 30# of ground chicken and left with a nasty mess.

I'm fortifying the coop and building a field wire fence around the area which will be hot wired.

I'm not able to get a decent shot so I left a nice cocktail for them when they came back the next night- not sure if it got them or not. If it's the right ones there was three- lately I've only seen two.

jim

7. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss!

You might ask at your local 4H or FFA clubs, and see if anyone there has some chickens they've been raising and don't want anymore ... our 4H leader is big into poultry but I'm up in Alberta so no help to you!

Good luck!

8. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Ahhh Chris, so sorry for the loss! My first thought too was, did ya get the stinkin' dog? I do have black australorpes, but am way off in northeast Texas.
    If you dont find any, when they pick up on the laying (or when my resident barn snake is found) I can send you some fertile eggs.

9. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I am so sorry! How awful! Why oh why can't people control their pups? :flame:

10. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

...or pen their chickens?

11. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about the original poster - but I live on almost 13 acres and can only see one neighbor about 200 yards behind us, and his dog is kept penned.

Why shouldn't I be able to let my chickens out? It's good for them to scratch around and good for the soil too. They eat pests, and leave manure. And while I do have a chicken pen and a chicken house that can be completely closed up - a determined dog could get into the pen. Not the house though.

12. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry for your loss. It heart breaking.
    Same thing happen to me about 18 years ago.
    Went to work for & came home to 25 dead chickens.
    Never did see the dog(s).
    veme

13. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

... why don't you have your own dog(s) capable of protecting your flock? No stray dogs on my property. They would quickly turn into dog food.

Pete

14. chrisl

chrisl Well-Known Member

To set the record straight, dog no longer among the living. As far as auctions, 4-h ect...
    our poultry auctions and swap meets are done around here for the season, and 4-H I'm our counties 4-H poultry leader thats what the buckeyes were (4-h chickens).

And to the pen them up....why??? this is my place closet neighbor is mile away... and the chickens stay on my land.....The stray was one of those dump out dogs that everyone thinks" oh I just can't kill him...I'll turn him out in the country and he will live happy forever".....well city people this is what happens no one wins, the dog is dead, chickens are dead.....

Thanks for all the support....and if any one has any australorp close to NW Missouri give me a holler.....

Thanks
    chris

15. MountainRonda

MountainRonda Active Member

I've had experiences that taught me that if I want to have domestic animals I have to protect them.
    I, too, liked having my chickens free roaming around property until a bobcat started picking them off one by one. If I took off in a rage trying to kill that cat there would just be more showing up later. My time was better spent building a coop.
    Then there was the time our neighbors' dog got two of our ducks. They were very sorry about it and we figured that good neighbors are more important than ducks, so we let them buy us two big rolls of chicken wire and called it even.
    I know you can never protect your animals from every danger and there is an expense involved, but I like to go in the direction that gives me the most peace of mind.
    Ronda

16. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you tried posting on the poultry forum and also the Barter board? YOu might find some different folks read those forums. Sorry I can't be of any other help.
    PQ

17. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Why? Because of what happened to you. And if it's not a dog, it'll be a coyote, a racoon, a weasel, a hawk, etc. I guarantee you that they all live closer than a mile away. Free ranging is always a risk: you're letting loose domesticated poultry in an environment teeming with wild (or instinct-driven domesticated) predators. The price of letting chickens roam free is the possibility that everything else roaming free--domesticated or wild--is looking for a meal, and your chickens don't know how to protect themselves.

18. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

We had the same problem. The stray dogs killed and ate our chickens (even ate the feathers.) It sounds like we live in the same general area. I'm going to the feed store today and will ask if they know of anyone. Our 4-H meeting is on the 14th and I'll ask. I'd love to help you out but all I have are mutts.

19. chrisl

chrisl Well-Known Member

fin29,

I can handle wild things getting into the chickens, not that I worry much about that, coons, skunks, and possums are not daylight creatures and the chickens are in the coop at night, a coyate or bob cat not likely (coon hounds are penned uped to close) but there is no exucse for dumped dogs.....With you theroy then what am I to do with the cattle and goats...I've lived on this place most of my life so did my grandparents, and so did my parents, and chickens have always had run of the place and never no problems with wild animals............
    But one dumped stray dog can make a mess of things..........and like I said before its not the dogs fault for people being stupid....................
    chris

20. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

All you can do is react to reality. If the dog's dead, and you think the problem's solved, then keep doing what you're doing. If it happens again, you'll need to reassess. I don't think we're disagreeing on much. :shrug: