Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wouldn't have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes. Every day or so I would find some of my green tomatoes missing. I knew it wasn't deer because there were no tracks. The rabbits couldn't reach them. Then today I caught the thievin' rascal in the act. It was a gray squirrel. What he was doing was climbing up the supports and getting the tomatoes off. He would rip the tomato apart in little bits and spit out the tomato chunks and eat the seeds. He wasn't the only one, there was another one in the garden doing the same thing.

Has anyone has this problem? What can I do to stop them from doing this? Surely there must be something they are afraid of besides a gun? :( Please help me if you can. :)
 

·
In Remembrance
Joined
·
28,242 Posts
Squirrels are hard! Can you put strong pepper spray all over the tomatoes? It might help. You could also try fake snakes. I know birds will stay away if they see one. Electric fence? Build a huge cage around the tomatoes? Borrow that cat from over on GC? A boy with a new BB gun?
 
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Camp out there & shoot them on sight, then surround your plants with the dead bodies as a warning to their Squirrel-Buddies!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Unregistered said:
Camp out there & shoot them on sight, then surround your plants with the dead bodies as a warning to their Squirrel-Buddies!
Well, if you are going to shoot em, then skin em out and eat them. Leave the inerds and such as a warning, but for goodnes sake don't waste the meat. It is so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
silver said:
Well, if you are going to shoot em, then skin em out and eat them. Leave the inerds and such as a warning, but for goodnes sake don't waste the meat. It is so good.

Dust em with cayenne powder. I don't even dust anymore much cuz they think they taste bad kinda like when the electric fence is off and the cow still avoids it :) Now if I could just get em to stop stealing the pears! hehe... I'm going to plant another pear tree a little farther from the walnut tree some year!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
Squirrels! :mad:

I throw things and scream at them. :yeeha: Around here, they really like to get going about 6 pm --- so I have my desk positioned to watch the tomatoes. They'll get to sneaking around just about 6 pm, and I just lean over and scream HEY YOU!! GET OUTTA THERE!

:yeeha:

If they come back (which they always do), then I resort to throwing things.
 
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I have had success with one of those plastic owls on a broomstick. It looks pretty convincing with realistic eyes. I just have to move it to another spot every day or 2
 

·
Windy Island Acres
Joined
·
4,588 Posts
countrygrrrl said:
Squirrels! :mad:

I throw things and scream at them. :yeeha: Around here, they really like to get going about 6 pm --- so I have my desk positioned to watch the tomatoes. They'll get to sneaking around just about 6 pm, and I just lean over and scream HEY YOU!! GET OUTTA THERE!

:yeeha:

If they come back (which they always do), then I resort to throwing things.

LOL I have tried this tactic with our resident deer and her fawn. She thinks I'm crazy....and so does my hubby :haha: :haha: It doesn't deter her in the least!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,154 Posts
Tie someones dog close to the tomatoes. Be sure he is smart enough to bark at them.
A live trap would let you take him back to the city where squirrels belong.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top