Help ~ sick weak calf!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Feb 11, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

We have a 2-3 week old black bull calf that we got from someone who had gotten a lot of cows at an auction and he got the wrong cow/calf pair. Well those cows had been there about 2 days or so before they got picked up. So the little fella had been about 2 days w/ no momma. And he got beat and banged around and so he limps on one leg. When he walks he shuffles like he's just wore out. He carries his ears down like he's bummed out. I have a REAL hard time to get him to eat. I can get a little over 1 bottle a day down him. Our weather changed from decent to really cold so I tied a horse blanket on him last night. He was weak but now is startin to weaze. We have given him selenium and LA200 and another antibiotic that the vet gave me. I am going to get some more later to give him. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. By the way his stools are good and he urinates normal. He looks happy to see me when I come it but he just looks beat. Would love some ideas

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Have you taken his temp? Is he dehydrated? Find out what the antibiotic from the vet was. If he's wheezing, then it ought to be Nuflor.

Ask the vet for a shot of banamine. It usually perks them up when they are feeling rotten. Gets them to eat and just feel better. It will also reduce a fever if there is one.

Jena

3. allenslabs

He had his temp taken last sunday (we got him feb5 and the vet was out feb6) and it was 1 1/2 degrees high. I think the vet said it was banamine now that you say that. I know it started with a b. I am going to get some more of that to give him and a vitamin b shot and an anti-inflamatory. He didn't sound as weezy just now when I went out. He actually drained almost 3 pints which I am usually forcing 2. So that was better. Every time I go out there I think Ok I don't know if he'll be alive next time cause he just looks so pitiful. But every time I say Hey Ferdy (his name is ferdinand) and he lifts his little head and looks at me with those big brown eyes and my heart just melts.
    His nose is dry but when he eats it gets beaded up. I looked at my other calfs nose and it was a lot wetter than his. I have water, good hay and calf crunch out there for him. He does munch around on the hay. I keep thinking maybe he's just wore out but he's been here a week and gotten no worse or any better. He does walk to me now and follow me some so I guess that is an improvement. Thanks a lot for any info!

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

If it were me, I would take the water bucket out of the pen. Have him take all his liquids from you..otherwise he might fill up on the water and leave no room for the milk. That should increase how much he is taking from you and really he needs that milk.

5. ok_country

ok_country Active Member

You might also want to ask your vet about Baytril 100. It was given to us by our vet for respiratory problems. Just a thought but don't against what your vet prescribes. Just we had calves that go into wheezing and seems to not be breathing good and they react real well to it. It is an injection, so you would have to have a syringe. Good luck. Sick little ones with those big browns eyes can break your heart, as they can't tell you what wrong. Also watch stools for blood as he might have even gotten stepped on.

6. allenslabs

The vet had me give him 10cc of vitamin b, 4.5 cc baytril and 1 cc daily of banamin for 3 days. Keep him in your prayers! Poor fella. He had layed down when I fed him this morning and so I covered him with a wool saddle blanket and when I went out to give him the shots it was still on him. So I gave him the 1st 2 shots and he got up. Guess it must've hurt! Then I had to give him the last one and he took them like a champ. Poor fella. So far no bloody stools. He has no mama to keep him clean but my dogs have took him under their wing. It's funny. I'll keep you all updated. I've been thanking the lord each time I go out and he's still alive. hopefully these shots are just what he needed!

7. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

If it were my calf and only drinking that much I would tube feed him. First try offering him the bottle 4x a day. If he doesn't get more in him he will be weak. He is not getting enough calories in him or fluids. Electrolytes would not hurt either.

8. allenslabs

GREAT NEWS!!!!!! I went out to feed my calf and he downed 3/4 of a bottle and was butting me for more! That is the first time this has ever happened! I am so thrilled! I had been going out 4+ times a day and that was all he would take but I guess those shots helped. He even followed me around for more! Thank the LORD!! I am so excited~! I was so worried about him but now he seems to be having a shot! Thank you all!

9. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Don't get to excited , sometimes they get a boost of energy before they die. Don't take it the wrong way just wanted to warn you. I would offer milk 2x a day and electrolytes 2x per day. Keep giving shots even if he seems better until all used up.