Help! Sick Sow

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by miller1911, Feb 8, 2005.

1. miller1911

miller1911 Active Member

Friday morning I had a sow give birth to 11 piglets and 7 live and 4 stillborn. The four still born were born durning the following night. I belive she cleaned her self, I found four placenta sacks. This it Tuesday and she won't eat. She appears to be nursing still. She get up and drinks water but she won't eat. Any ideas what to do would be greatly appreciated. I call my vet but he says he doesn't know much about the pigs, just horses and cows.

2. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

It is not unusual for sows to not eat for up to 3-4 days after farrowing. But if she isn't eating by now then there could be an infection problem. Having four pigs born stillborn later would indicate that there is very possibly an infection in the uterus. So there are a couple things that you could do, give her a shot of antibiotics, penicillin generally seems to work well for problems like this. Talk to your veterinarian to see if he has another antibiotic that he would recommend. The other thing that could help is to try to feed her some palatable wet feed. I used to cook up some oatmeal and add some molasses to get sows to eat. Once they start to eat then they generally will be fine.

3. miller1911

miller1911 Active Member

Thanks Kev,
    Will the pencilion hurt the piglets that are nursing on her? And about how much should I give her, she weights ruffly 600 lbs?

4. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

A small amount of penicillin does get excreted through the sow's milk, so the piglets will get some but it won't hurt them. The worst that it would do is slow down the development of their normal gut flora (the microbes that normally live in the intestines of pigs).

The dosage for her depends on the type/strength of antibiotic that you use. For a regular penicillin product (300,000 units of penicillin G procaine/ml) the recommended dosage is 1 ml/cwt/day not to exceed 4 days of treatment. The withdrawl time to slaughter is 7 days for hogs. So your sow would need to get 6ml of this type of penicillin.

Some people use long lasting penicillin products in hogs but that is an extra label use of the product. In other words, you shouldn't use that type of penicillin unless a veterinarian recommends it.

There are other antibiotics that are available besides penicillin. Talk to your vet for a recommendation. Make sure that you have the correct antibiotics for hogs and that you follow any slaughter withdrawl times.

I hope she is feeling better.