Help sick goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by budove, Apr 6, 2005.

1. budove

budove Member

She did not want to eat and she is 2 months old. sher ate this morning.
    The weird thing is when she defecated it looked like fome with a littel bit of blood.
    Could this happen if she got into the chicken food she is small enough to fit in the chicken door.
    she is on a bottel with milk replacer with 4 other goats I use the bucket method.
    no I have not given her any meds or Vacsinations yet.
    No I have not wormed them
    the others are just fine
    I have laying pelets and high proten game bird starter in the chicken house (21%)

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

yes its entirely possible this is the food she got into in the chicken pen , the only worry i would have is blood in the stool ,
    sounds like beginning cocci..
    getthem treated right away
    if they are close enough to chickens that they could have come in contact with feces

3. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I had young goats I had bought for 4H a time ago. They had the same problem. It was coccidia. I had a fecal test done.

I remember the vet giving us Albon.

And because we had these particular babies in a pen next to the dogs, they ended up with the same thing.

I personally would get a fecal test done asap just to be sure. They don't cost so much and if you take it early in the morning, they may help you same day.

4. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

I would have a fecal run ASAP by the vet. That way you know exactly what you are dealing with.

Have you given her any Coccidiosis meds at all?

5. budove

budove Member

I gave them all some corid today. I will try to get a soil sample to night when I get home from work.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

yup, probably cocci. I would bet a feacal run as fast as possible, then i would get on meds, and by all means worm them.

7. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

"soil sample?" :haha: alright now, you sound like me. You meant fecal sample, some of the baby's poo poo in to the vet to test it for cocci.

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

yup, cocci, I would start on meds fast. and make sure that they are etting plenty of water. might want to add a little mollasse to it, but just a drop for flavor, a small amount. get fecal done, and start meds today.