Help sick calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Paso, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

I think this replacer calf has pemonia, its nose is ice cold its listless and weak. I have given it LA200 and milk with eggs also the electrolytes. Is there more I can do.She is in the building with a heat lamp. She is almost a week old but struggling. Please advise me you all have helped in the past. Thank you very much. This is an Angus cross calf I dont know if she has a fever she is scouring a too.

2. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

When our heifer was born last year she also had pneaumonia and was running a fever...She had to have a sot of Banamine for the fever and then nuflor for the pneu....We had to have the vet come and give her the shots since we could not buy them over the counter...You don't want to let this run on too long...Bless your heart...I know how it is believe you me...MissKitty

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I like the nuflor, it's quick and effective. Some feel it's best to start with something less agressive but I prefer to treat and be over the pneumonia than to have it hang on or get a stronghold and subsequently loose the calf.

4. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I've always heard about nuflor being used for pneumonia with good results.

5. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

If you have a good relationship with your vet and especially if it's a vet who's used to dealing with farmers, they will sell you most medications to administer yourself.

6. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

Thank you for the help. I know this sounds bad but I cant afford a vet to come out. The calf is drinking alot of water the people at the feed store told me to give it penicillin. I hope that works Im losing hope.

7. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You can go to a vet, explain the calf's symptoms and usually purchase the two doses of nuflor you'd need instead of a whole bottle. I'm concerned that if the calf is listless and weak, you need to treat agressively or you may loose your investment.

8. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

You guys can't buy nuflor? We live on the stuff, though it is expensive it's only one dose and it can even pass through the neural membranes. But enough about that. How many doses of LA200 has she had? And you really shouldn't give antibiotics unless you know she is running a fever and to what degree. If you've given more than 2-3 doses stick on the LA200, not a good idea to switch generals in the middle of the war. I would advise against banamine as she is scouring because it will make the diarrhea problem worse. Give her some nutri-drench if you have it or give her sweet karo-syrup or molasses water, it will give her energy since she is off feed(I'm guessing she's not eating). If she's only had one dose of LA200, get her some nuflor, but only after you've taken her temp, don't give it if she's not running a fever. Call your vet or an experienced dairyman friend and they'll be able to adivse you better if you need anything else. After that all you can do is support her through it, constantly give her water and the nutri-drench if she won't eat, even if you have to tube her. Once she is eating give her the closest thing you can to grass, if not grass itself. If you support her well she should pull through it. Good luck.

9. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I am so sorry to say that I have no advice to offer, but i will pray for you tonight. Hopethat ALL goes well with you. Bye.

10. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Evening PASO,
    If I were you I would do the following immediately. No milk products at all. The other secret ingrediant is lots of tender loving care no matter how sad the situation is. Sit for hours and the time my do wonder for the animals outlook. If the situation is desperate, give anti-biotics every three hours roughly 2 ml or better yet read the bottle, but up the frequency, do you have anything to lose. If the animal is scouring the most important thing to do is to remove milk products from it's digestive system. Good luck, PM me if needed....John

Mix three heaping tablespoons of dried beef broth with a small amount of warm water lets just say about a quart. I use the dried broth because it's cheaper than 1 can of consomme. If you perfer consomme than just open and use one can instead of the powder beef broth.

Add one package sure jell and mix.

Add one heaping tablespoon of baking soda and be ready because the mixture will foam a bit. Of course mix.

Add five crushed 500mg tablets of vitamin and mix.

Lastly open one capsule of ProBacti-caps and pour powder into the mixture and mix.

Add mixture to 2 qt baby bottle and fill with warm water to the desired level (2 quarts)

Pro-bacteria capsule can be purchased through a company called SWANSON just type ProBacti-caps or SWANSON into a search engine.

Their little digustive system usually recovers in 2 feedings however I always continue for at least another 2 feedings. I feed twice a day. Lastly they love the taste! Have a great day...Tennessee John

11. topside1

Pasco, hows the Calf???

12. Goat Freak

Yeah, is the poor baby doing any better? I hope for the best. See ya.

13. Goat Freak

Is the calf doing any better? What's happening?

14. topside1

still waiting, how about an update!!!

15. topside1

Need an update on sick calf. Did any of our advice save the little one..?

16. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Paso, like a lot of people, i've been thinking about you and you calf. i'm hoping like everyone else is,,,but

i don't know how long you're been working with animals...

i've lived and worked with cows and dogs all my life. you learn fast that life on a farm truly is a life and death thing...on a farm you see a lot of life and you will also see death.. its hard, especially if you let it tug at your heart...and what person that loves animals wouldn't let it get to them.

I have lost a lot of calves and i have saved a few. i made a lot of mistakes along the way.. its a natural learning experience...

if your little calf didn't make it...well , you did the best you could didn't you.
    Thats all anyone can expect of anyone,,even themselves.

stiff upper lip....ok?

17. Goat Freak

PASO, what is happening, did the little one make it? I will pray for you regardless, if the little one died I will pray for your peace of mind and for you to not feel better, and if he is still alive I will pray for him to get better, as it is I will pray for both, in the if this and if that senario. Well good bye.