Homesteading Forum banner

HELP! Sick baby

385 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  goatmarm 
#1 ·
I have a 4 day old that has a runny nose and crusty eyes today. He won't eat and is very lethargic. What should I give him? Thanks

Laina

#3 ·
Call your vet ASAP. Baby needs to be nice and warm. Probios or yogurt to help keep the stomach from souring. You can try using a dropper or a syringe without a needle on it. Try to get the kid to swallow a dab of Karo syrup or molasses diluted w/ warm water to perk up a bit. Do you know if the kid got his/her colostrum?
I would definitely call the vet. It could be as serious as pneumonia. The kid may need antibiotics.

#4 ·
After I wrote this post went to get him to take him to the vet and he was already gone. He had started getting crusty eyes yesterday but acted fine. This morning he was very sick. I didn't think they could go down that fast.
Now my question is, I have 3 other babies in the same pen, will they have a chance to get sick? All were fine tonight, ate really good, and look fine.

Laina

#5 ·
Sounds like your little guy had pneumonia. Some strains can kill goats fast. I don't know whether or not your other babies will get sick. Get a bottle of Nuflor from the vet to have on hand, and give to the babies from that pen at the first sign they are getting the same thing. I'm so sorry you lost the kid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.