help sick alpine

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MN Mom, Dec 1, 2006.

1. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Just got home from shopping and pickles our alpine doeling born this spring is laying in the corner and has brown snot comeing out of her nose. She tryes to get up but can't. Wife sayes brown stuff smells like poop. She was fine last night (running around and such). This morning when we left i saw her walking around from a distance. Mom is fine and walking around and eatting.

Jon

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Snot isn't brown, even in very ill goats. So someone has diarrhea she has gotten into. Most goats don't clean themselves with their mouth when they have diarrhea, so it may not be hers. Moms rarely clean kids of diarrhea either.

Lots more info. What is her temp? Do you worm? Is she normal wieght? A spring kid (April) would be nearing 100 pounds. Do you treat for cocci? She is in with her mom, is baby diarrhea a problem? Has it been in the past?

With the cold weather, goats who do not have access to a rumen full of hay or roughage will come down with pnemonia.

All goats have pasteurella bacteria in their noses, goats with good immunity and a belly full of roughage to burn all night to keep warm, will fend off this change in weather, the cold, the humidity. Does who are chilled, especially from rain or blowing wind, does who go to bed with empty rumens will chill, it lowers their immunity, the normal levels of bacteria in their noses grow, first you get snots, then fever, then a rattly chest, if you have not caught this by the time you see fever the goat will die without vet IV's and antitoxin.

Clean the kid up, take it's temp. Get back with us...my phone number is with every post. And it is not on my posts once kidding season starts :) Vicki

3. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Vicki

Went out to take her temp and she is gone. When I picked her up alot of brown stuff came out of her nose. Sounds like her belly is full of water. I will keep a good eye on mom and just pray though.

Now I have 1 lonely goat to deal with.

Jon :Bawling:

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

sorry you lost your kid.
    never heard about something like this in goats. when i was a nurse in germany i had to take care of a woman that had an ileus (closed intestine), means she could not go to the bath room. she died with stool coming out of her mouth.
    maybe your little doe had a twisted gut?

5. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

yes I have heard that a kitten had something wrong with its bowel and ended up realsing feces through its nose.

I wonder if she had some intestinal problem. So sad I am sorry you lost her. ((((hugs)))) from NJ

6. LadyofTheBarn

LadyofTheBarn I Love My Dairy Goats <3

What I'm wondering is how in the heck those two things are connected??? Has anyone else heard of something like this?

Allison

7. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that you lost her. Sounds like she went down so fast there was nothing you could have done.

I had a doeling this year who was fine w/ normal temp at 8 am, down with 106 temp at 6 pm, and after a visit to the vet, dead at 7 pm. Sometimes they just don't give us a chance to make them well.

:grouphug: for the kids.

8. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

that is how the two are connected in my mind at least.

9. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss..I haven't had one do this..so I can't help ya out there. But its so hard to lose the little dears. Chin up..doesn't sound like there was much time to do anything for her.

10. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I had one injure her neck and aspirate a lot of cud out of her nose - it looked brownish. We couldn't save her.

11. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry you lost your little goat. I hope you can find another goat to keep mom company (and warm) during the cold Minnesota winter.

12. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

We are currently finding another home for her.

Thanks everone,
    Jon & Sara