HELP! Shivering Goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tduerson, Dec 19, 2004.

1. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

I went ot feed and water my goats this morning and found my Boer Yearling Doe Shivering and weak. I give her Vit B Complex, Warm Water w/Pancake Syrup mixed in it I administered with a syringe. I got a thick Comforter off my bed and wrapped her up and laid with my body against her for about an hour. She is standing but weak and shaking, She is chewing her cud, but wont eat her grain or drink on her own, but she will nibble on some hay. She just stands in one stop with her head to the wall it is not pulling though to the side so I dont expect Polio. I had that before and this seems diferent. It is very cold hear and was extremely cold last night. I ahve now brought her in the house and have her in my bathroom on the Comforter I had took to the barn. Any ideals at what is wrong. My other 2 pymgy yearling Does are fine. Has she just got to cold and cant get warm again. I have tons of hay on the floor for bedding for them and textile fabric on all walls in their barn to keep wind and draft out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tina

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I would give her Nutra drench or get some probois or yogurt to get her rumin going and the vitamin B will help give her an appetite.make sure she gets water as warm as you can get it.Add koolaid or apple juice or Gatoraid what ever it takes to get her to eat again.keep us informed.

3. tduerson

My dear freind from the next county over from me came down to look at my goat. He is great with goats. He really knows a lot, but of course he dont know everything. He give her some more Vit B Complex and 2 shots of perscription meds that he uses on his goats. He was not sure what was wrong either, but we decided to give her the meds and try to get what ever it might be. She is just a pet and is my Baby so I want to do what ever I can to try and help her. So far there is no change in her as of yet, but it has only been about an hour. She will be staying in my bathroom until this cold breaks and it warms up enough to get her back out ot the barn with her buddies.
    Thanks
    Tina

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

you can also give procaine penicillin, just in case. it won't hurt, and might help. bottle says 1cc per 100# body wight, but i always give triple the first time, as a loading dose. should be able to tell a difference in 24 hours. or less.

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Have you taken her temp??? you need to know it!! Keep her hydrated or you will lose her. Not trying to scare you but you have to know her temp.

6. tduerson

Hi everyone, turned out my goat has Listeriosis and Polio. I started treatment last night and did not see any improvment at all. She was actually getting worse. I thought about lunch time today I was going to lose her then a miracle happened and now she is holding her head up on her own and it is staightening back out and she is drinking water on her own.
    Tina

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

PLease go to this website www.tennesseemeatgoats.com and go to the articals and halfway down the page is polio/listeriosis and read this artical the treatment is 7 to 10 days.I have delt with this and its not fun, dont give up she has a chance.