Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what problem this is?

White ewe has large raw scab on crown and scab streaks on side of face. Has not been injured. Otherwise healthy and acting normal. Just had twin lambs that are doing well. Started noticing her face looking odd about a week ago. Took these pictures today and it is quite a bit worse. Thanks to anyone who has an idea.
IMG_20200424_073712472_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200424_073746922_HDR.jpg

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,253 Posts
Off doesn’t usually have respiratory symptoms. She needs a veterinarian.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I'm not thinking Orf either, not with the respiratory symptoms. She does look a bit scruffy (but not underdone) and if she were mine, I would be inclined to give her a drench and also treat her for external parasites - she could be dealing with keds and or lice. Lice will definitely make them scratch around the neck/face/poll area which could be why her head is looking a bit sad.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not thinking Orf either, not with the respiratory symptoms. She does look a bit scruffy (but not underdone) and if she were mine, I would be inclined to give her a drench and also treat her for external parasites - she could be dealing with keds and or lice. Lice will definitely make them scratch around the neck/face/poll area which could be why her head is looking a bit sad.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Thanks so much!!

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
Are there other ewe/lamb pairs around? Could there be head-butting in attempts to keep others away from her lambs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there other ewe/lamb pairs around? Could there be head-butting in attempts to keep others away from her lambs?
She is with many other pairs. They do head-butt occasionally, but never excessively, and I have never noticed damage in other ewes from this activity. Thank you for sharing; I had not considered this before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts