Help rec'd call to evac. tusuami

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kasilofhome, Jan 13, 2007.

1. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

We just jot a call from someone saying there was a earthquake in Russia 8point something and that we have a tusamie is heading our way.

Warned that the only road out may be blocked.

We have no way to check this out. No Tv or radio Just the net

I can't think where to seach correct or eles it was a prank call

I live right by the inlet.

zip is 99610

Town
    Kasilof, Alaska

lead me to where I can check this out

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I heard 8.3 in between Japan and Russia.Hits Alaska in 1 hour,45 minutes.Kitchican (sp) I think they just said is on watch.

BooBoo :gromit:

4. seedspreader

Praying for ya, Kasilof... be safe. Are you above potential washout area?

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070113/ts_nm/japan_tsunami_dc_5

TOKYO (Reuters) - A small tsunami wave hit Japan's northernmost island on Saturday after a powerful north Pacific earthquake prompted tsunami warnings for northern Japan, Russia and a wide swathe of Japan's Pacific coast.
    ADVERTISEMENT

A tsunami watch was also issued for a wide area of the Pacific, including Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines and Hawaii by the Pacific
    Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii, but there were no reports of injury or damage.

A 10-cm (4-inch) wave was reported at Nemuro, on Japan's northernmost island of Hokkaido, a little after 3 p.m. local (6 a.m.), NHK public television said. Officials said several harbor waters had drawn back slightly in what could be a precursor to a wave.

There were no reports of injury or damage, or more significant waves, as of 3:45 p.m., but officials warned that larger waves could still arrive and evacuation advisories were issued for thousands of households.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

BooBoo :gromit:

6. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

wave heights seem pretty small or is that in the open ocean?
    Kasilofhome might be a good time to move inland a mileor so.

7. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

Here is what I found so far..

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A tsunami warning was issued Friday for Alaska's western Aleutian islands, prompting some residents to flee, and a tsunami watch was issued for Hawaii after an 8.3-magnitude earthquake in the northern Pacific.

About 27 residents from the communities of Attu and Shemya on the western end of the Aleutian island chain were moved to higher ground, said McHugh Pierre, a spokesman for the state division of homeland security and emergency services.

It was not immediately known if a tsunami was generated, the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center said.

If waves reached Alaska, the center said they could be expected to hit Dutch Harbor around 11:41 p.m. Alaska Standard Time.

In Hawaii, any waves could arrive about an hour later, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

Tsunami warnings are issued due to the imminent threat of a tsunami. Tsunami watches are issued as an advance alert to areas that could be impacted by a tsunami.

The warning for the western Aleutians Islands was from the villages of Nikolski to Adak. The center warned people in low-lying coastal areas to remain alert and to wait for instructions from local emergency officials.

Adak is a community of 167 about 1,300 miles southwest of Anchorage. Nikolski is a village of 31 about 900 miles southwest of Anchorage.

The warning center issued a tsunami watch for the rest of the Aleutians and coastal areas along south-central Alaska to Seward.

Tidal levels fell 4 inches in Nemuro in northeastern Japan, a sign that a tsunami could hit later, Japan's Meteorological Agency said.

The agency had predicted waves as high as 3.3 feet could hit the northeastern coast of Japan's main island of Hokkaido around 12 a.m. EST, but as the appointed time passed, most areas said there had been no visible changes to the sea level.

Officials in towns along Japan's Pacific coast issued evacuation orders to flee to higher ground, and thousands of residents along the archipelago's eastern coast fled to higher ground, officials said.

The quake struck about 310 miles east of the Etorofu islands between northern Japan and Russia, the agency said.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage from the quake.

Temblors of magnitude 7 are generally classified as major earthquakes, capable of widespread, heavy damage.

Tsunami waves — generated by earthquakes — are often barely noticeable in the ocean but can rise to great heights once they arrive at shore.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070113/ap_on_re_us/tsunami_warning_8

8. kasilofhome

YES
    75 feet above water
    My driveway is 3/4 long away from the inlet

their is a cliff which is 75 feet and from there iit is flat land which slopes up the whole 3/4 of a mile. Can any one understand the height of the wave?

9. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Diane, here's a link with a fairly succinct message. I don't know your geography, so I'm providing the link. http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/message529260-01.htm

I'll take another look at your geography, but wanted you to see this ASAP in case you're in the danger zone.

Take care, and keep us posted.

10. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

The inlet will either amplify or disapate the wave Id take a little drive inland a mile would make a diference . quit reading and GO!

11. Laura Workman

You're in the "Watch" area, Nikolski to Seward. Here's what they say about "watch" status:

A Tsunami Watch means that all coastal residents in the watch area should prepare for possible evacuation. A tsunami watch is issued to areas which will not be impacted by the tsunami for at least three hours. Watch areas will either be upgraded to warning status or canceled.

12. seedspreader

Turn on the weather band on your am radio... I am sure they are broadcasting around the clock right now.

13. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

To compare the March 27th 1964 was an 8.4 quake. The quake today was 8.3. So that gives you something to compare it to. If they are telling you to evacuate it would be wise to listen to those in your region. If you are in the watch area then just be prepared.

14. kasilofhome

Thanks

We will stay alert.

Bye prey. lHave extra gas.

15. Laura Workman

16. kasilofhome

I got in to the car and the radio Duh radio in car I did not even think of Just announte

17. kasilofhome

I feel kinda stupid not to think of the car radio. Thanks to all. We did for part of a winter live on the beach but we would have to live during certain tides. I have seen from tide marks how high it can get with just a high tide and a storm so yes I was conserned but at the same time to reach Highter ground I would have first gone to much lower ground and if traffic hit well that was something to think of.

But thanks for the much needed help so quick

18. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

They have called off the WARNING for SouthEAST Alaska and West Coast USA but kept them on "WATCH" status. If you have somewhere to go and are in the "WARN" areas or live near waterfront that has a gradual slope (especially sloping out under the water), MOVE UPLAND. If you are near DEEP water without a gradual slope or live inland or behind many islands, you are PROBABLY ok but keep checking alerts. As fantasymaker said, deep ocean waves like these tend to gain speed and size when traveling over long distances that are gradually sloped or shallow and when they hit gradual sloping shores, they force the pressure of the wave up and on to the land. If you live near a sheer cliff (or big drop-off at the shore, especially if underwater), this tends to bounce the wave BACK. Sometimes this causes a seiche, or bathtub wave, which can also be dangerous but isn't usually as able to devastate an area.

I think Kasilof is in the relative safe zone but it would be a good idea to watch the warnings closely.

19. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

20. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Why in the world would you waste time getting on the computer and checking on it, it being a storm earthquake, tornado,, get to a safe area and then check on it. If it had been real and you had been hit you and yours would have been dead. When you work at a chemical plant and you see people running you don't ask why you just do your best ot out run them. and when everyone stops running you ask why.