help re: pink milk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Alma, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Alma

Alma Active Member

I have a problem with Thelma ,her milk has turned pink. The book I have said this can happen when fed too much of concentrates. I had changed her rations lately. Its not mastitis but has anybody had this problem and how long does the milk stay pink and how do I get it fixed. I have taken her off all concentrates and she is out browsing all day with hay and water at night. Otherwise she is very healthy and happy. She is a mixed breed goat and her udder is not large but normal and doesn't swing around to get bruised. Alma :help:

2. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

Pink milk is caused by broken blood vessels. I would suspect an injury of some sort. It should clear up in a couple of days. Just be extra gentle with her while milking. Hopefully you have something on the farm that will enjoy the milk until it clears up.

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Do you have pokeberry on your property and are you seeing purple spots on any goats or reddish urine? Not sure if it affects milk, but everyone here pees pink from sampling the pokeberries after they ripen.

Lynda

4. Alma

Alma Active Member

This is a reply and I hope it works as this is my first time trying out this type of thing on the internet. I live on the east coast in Canada and we don't have pokeberries, but it is berry picking season here but that is not the problem. If there's blood in the milk it settles to the bottom when you've set it in the fridge to cool and that's what has happened all week. I don't know if this goes to all of the people who have replied but thanks for your thoughts on the matter. (and yes, Pearl and the other cats here are really enjoying the milk and I hope its ok for them) :happy: