HELP! ram down

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by decamper, Jun 3, 2005.

1. decamper

decamper Well-Known Member

Found our ram down this morning. He is 1 1/2 years old. He is breathing heavy and did drink a little. He is kind of crawling, at least trying to move, but that is all. I moved obstacles out of his way and the goats that were with him were put in a different pen. He was sluggish yesterday but did eat some leaves from me. I though he was just moping because he was moved from the ewes about a week ago. Any suggestions?

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Check for anemia right away... when was the last time you wormed him? I'd start him on vit. E immediately if nothing else...

And probably call a vet.

3. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Bloat? Can he swallow? Temp? What color are his membranes? Do you hear gut activity....put your ear on his side for rumble....

Are any of your other critters sick? What could he have eaten?

Vet, probably, if your vet knows anything about sheep.......

4. decamper

The ram is still alive. I've been getting him to belch as I rub him and roll him over. I've given him the baking soda/water/oil that is in the Sheep book as well as a little water with electrolites. I also gave him some mineral oil mid-day. I gave him a shot of antibiotics early in the day. He was in a pen with two angora goats and mostly they have been eating oats and with a little corn with some grass. Just noticed that he looks like he has a bad tooth. Could that be the problem, an infection? I'm hoping the shot takes care of that.

The vets around here only take care of cats and dogs so I am winging it. Wish me luck.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Did you take his temp? 102.5 is "normal" but account for ambient temperatrues too if its hot add a degree if its cold knock off half for a range of "normal" Breathign heavy, reminds me of pnuemonia, and I'd be treating for pasteurella, Oxytetracycline and a human or horse expectorant. Its very hard to nail down the problem with the info supplied but the VitE shot is a good thought too. Are you in a selenium deficent area? He might need the selenium as well. You know a good strong drench of coffee and some kind of sugar never hurts.

6. decamper

Finally found a vet who takes care of farm animals. She was out but the office gal talked to her and told me to give the ram 1/4 - 1/2 cup molasses and if I had access to 1 /2 cc of banamine. I had the molasses. I gave him Oxytetracycline this morning.

Not in a selenium deficent area that I know of. All the other 10 sheep are ok.

He is still burping, he lets us move him. He burps when he is moved, sat up, or massaged.

He is not on his feet yet, but showing a little movement. He is alert. His color is good.

What does coffee do?

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Same thing as it does for everyone, it's a caffeign rich boost of energy

8. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is an abcess near the tooth. it doesnt take much for it take him off feed and then to take him down. When we 1st started sheep we had 3 ewes and they were hogs. Got in to all the feed all the time. They took care of themselves by getting in to the corn and bloating. Lost the best one and my 1st show ewe. It was a hard time. Well back on topic...Best of Luck!
    AJ

9. decamper

Just wanted to report that the ram passed away Sunday evening. Thanks to all for the replies. As I was sitting with him Sunday evening, he started having convulsions. He died within an hour.

10. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Im so very sorry you lost your guy Decamper, our condolences coming from our place to yours.

11. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

I know who you feel. I lost my 1st ever show ewe 2 summers ago. She was pretty cool! She got bloated off to much corn, the pig....WEll hope you find a new one.
    AJ