hELP QUICK PLEASE

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by JoyKelley, Apr 30, 2005.

1. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

UPDATE......I TOOK PICTURE LINK OUT SO I COULD USE IT FOR THE DUCKLINGS, i HAD A FRIEND TAKE THE BUNNIES THAT KNOWS HOW TO care for THEM

My neighbors son saved two of these from Dogs and brought them to me. I have raised alot of aminals but I haven't fooled with bunnies for 20 years and don't remember how. Please look at these photos and tell me how old this child looks to you and then what do I do to care for it, Our local feed store lady says 10 days old and gave me , out of date , Espilac. How do you get something as old as this to take a bottle after nursing mom until now?

Will they take food, what kind ? Do I give water in a bowl or a hanging water dispenser.

I just need help, here it is Saturday night and all the local rescue agencies are closed

thanks in advance

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well I might get blasted but I would say that one is big enough to be on its own.Just turn it lose where Cat or Dog can't get it.

I really think it will be fine.

big rockpile

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

At 10 days, they still need milk. Feed it with either goat or kitten milk www.rabbit.org has something on the subject

4. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

Personally I would try either goats milk or kitten replacer milk in a low saucer. Try rubbing a little on their nose to help them get the idea. Then maybe just a few nibbles of hay or an alfalfa cube. I would not give cow's milk or fresh greens yet though. Now this is just my opinion , hopefully someone with wild bunny experience will chime in. At about ten days old non wild kits are just opening their eyes and don't have the greatest coordination. If they are moving around well I would think they were a little older than ten days.
    Hope this helps.
    Liz in NH

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Offer alfalfa and parsley (the cooking kind) the problem with trying to bottle feed the kit now is that is so used to the does nipple trying to switch it over to a bottle is almost impossible.

Offer the milk in a dish, you may need to push his head down slightly like a kitten to get it to drink.

He will need to be kept warm, and it is perfectly fine to make a pet out of it.

No blasting Big Rockpile, though it is a bit young to try to make it on its own, though I personally turn it loose in my barn with the hay. I have had escapees that young survive.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well all I was going by is I see them all the time running around here about that size.

Problem is it takes about 20 of them to make a meal,just Fry them up whole. :p :haha:

big rockpile

7. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

thanks, I really am anxious if you all think they are really only 10 days old, They are much more mature than just opening their eyes. I appreciate the advice and will try to get them to eat what you suggest, can I feed the espilac in a bowl ?