Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 11th of last month... a red hound (like Ladybird on "King of the Hill") showed up at my place. She looked like skin draped over a skeleton...that skinny and looked as if she had had pups but had no milk. I fed her thinking she would not last the night and the next morning found 6 pups under one of the flatbed trailers. Over the next two weeks she killed 5 of the six pups (and ate at least one that I saw)... they seemed to be doing okay when she killed them. I took the last one away from her and have kept it in the house. The pup has been eating (won't take a bottle)... the formula made her constipated so I added milk and that gave her diarrhea (which I can't stop). We wormed her, thinking she might have worms but she kept eating and doing ok otherwise. I have also been giving her Molly's herbals Immune therapy drops to help. Saturday morning the vet told me to put some flea spray on a cloth and wipe her down with for the fleas she has. I did and now she won't eat. She is not looking good and I do not want to lose her... She eats puppy for with milk (at least she did until yesterday) but now she just sniffs and walks away.

Any suggestion???? Anything would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joysmom

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
If you can get her to take the formula again add some molasses to it or karo syrup. That will stop the constipation. I prefer molasses because of the extra nutrition. Add just a little because it really works.

I am thinking that maybe the smell of the flea spray was so strong it messed up her sniffer and everything smells like the spray. Maybe wipe her nose and chest down with warm water and try adding a bit of broth or stock in with the formula for one feeding. Hopefully the smell of the stock/broth will entice her hunger. Yopu could also put some in a dropper and right onto her tongue.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Weird that the vet told you to put flea and tick treatment on a puppy that young. I assume it may have irritated the pup's skin. Give it a bath with mild soap - try puppy shampoo from a grocery store or the like.

Instead of chemical flea and tick, try garlic in the food and using a premise spray for it's bedding... Some powders can be used on younger pups, too.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Unfortunately there are many things that could be wrong. I am assuming that she had a terrible case of fleas since the vet recommended defleaing. The fleas could be causing anemia.

You mentioned that you wormed her. Just once? What did you worm her with? If it was over the counter meds they are pretty much worthless...pet store variety. Some breeders worm their pups every week starting at two weeks old. Others worm every two weeks. She could still be loaded with parasites. Can you get a stool sample to the vet? I'd start there.

Could be the beginning of parvo. Hate to say that but that is always a possibility.

Willow101

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Get a medicine syringe and 'make' her eat buy squirting a little into her mouth. Mix a little goats milk in with the food or baby cereal and feed her several times a day. Cows milk isn't as good for dogs. She sounds like she is too young to be eating solid foods anyhow.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
The puppy I took in a week and a half ago is just now five and a half weeks old. I've been feeding him puppy chow with puppy milk replacer. I crush the puppy chow a bit and mix it with a little bit of milk replacer and, at first, I added a drop of Karo syrup.

I agree that you should syringe feed if the puppy won't eat. Do it slowly and gently as you don't want the puppy to aspirate any food. Also, no cow's milk! To curb the diarrhea add a small bit of pumpkin to the food.

Definitely bathe the puppy to get the chemicals off! Eoghan was flea ridden and I bathed him in Johnson's baby shampoo. I need to do it again today, but it definitely helps with the flea problem, plus it's gentle and doesn't make him sick.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Flea spray or wipes should not be used on a puppy this young. Garlic can be used in the food, but it takes 2-3 weeks for it to work into the system and repel them. You need to treat your home with a premise spray with Nylar or Precor in it (same thing IGR). ZThe only option when they are this young, is to bathe with dish soap to kill the fleas once a week and use a flea comb in between several times a day. Dip the fleas you catch in a cup of warm water with a few drops of detergent added to drown them.
I would definately bathe the puppy. I would not give it baby cereal and milk. It should be getting formula. Or you can make your own :
>1 small can evap. milk (5 oz.)
>4 egg yolks
>1/2 cup full fat yogurt with active cultures, like
>Stoneybrook
>1/2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
>
>Blend or mixer it smooth. I heat it in a Pyrex custard cup. I give
>it 5 seconds on high in microwave. Test it with fingertip. Give 5
>seconds at a time, just until the chill is off. You must keep this in
>fridge. Pups will quickly recognize the smell and suck it all out of
>the dropper ot bottle. Nothing puts weight on like this. Will not upset
>stomachs even though it is rich.

When you wean, wean to ground turkey or chicken- you can top it with some ground up egg shells or a dusting of bone meal. Dogs are carnivores- they do not need grains. Grains are a filler in kibble and cheap form of protein for dog food manufacturers. If you would rather feed a processed food...feed a canned food that has no wheat, corn or soy in it. The label will read meat, possibly meat by products and a list of vitamins and water for processing. Evanger's is a good one and available at many groceries. For now, give that baby a bath and dry it well with a towel and set it in a box with a heat lamp in one corner until dry.

If the pup has not been wormed in the last week, I would worm it after it recovers from the flea wipe. Pups who are nursing are wormed weekly from 2-5 weeks, then every 2 weeks. He is not nursing so I would worm 2 weeks in a row them every 2 weeks until 10-11 weeks old. Then you can go to monthly if he is exposed to worms (and if mom has stool on the property, that is a good possibility). I would suggest giving him a parvo vaccine only- high titer neopar soon as he recovers- a day after worming. Then distemper only the following week. His immunity is probably low due to a stray mom and early weaning, so he needs coverage asap- but would not stress him with a combo vaccine. Then repeat 3 weeks later at least twice (if you still have him- or have new owners do it). Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts