Help! problems with canned goats milk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mrs_stuart, May 2, 2004.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I have canned several quart jars of goats milk. I used a boiling bath for 1 hour but now after about 6 weeks, the milk is seperating in the jar. The lids are still intack abut it looks like cottage cheese and whey. If you shake it hard, it seems to go back together. What have i done wrong??????Please help me with this problem....thanks

Belinda

2. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

you need to use a pressure cooker.

is there colostrum in it still? Has the goat freshened less than 5 days before?

is there a chance that there is some mastitis involved?

when canned,even with a pressure cooker, it will be a caramel white instead of a whilte white...that is ok. It shouldnt curdle

3. Mrs_stuart

I will use a pressure cooker next time and not there is no colostrum and no the goat has not freshened and no I do not believe there is any mastitis involved. Everthing seems to be fine and still is even after the five weeks. Do you think the milk is spoiled and if so, what hasn't the lid unsealed??????? and why will it go back together when i shake it???

Belinda

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

It was probably contaminated and it's basically buttermilk, which separates naturally and comes back together when shaken...not that I would taste it and find out.

You need a pressure canner, not a pressure cooker.

1/2" headspace, 10 lbs. pressure for 25 minutes for quarts and 20 minutes for pints.

You'll know if the milk is spoiled by some bacteria because it smells like grits. If it's contaminated by something more insidious like botulism, it won't smell bad at all, but tasting it to find out might be the last thing you do. Dump it, buy or borrow a pressure canner, and can away. And get a copy of a food safety booklet (usually free, check here for sources: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/publications_home.html) before you take on any more canning experiments.

Good luck and no worries. Everyone screws up somewhere...just ask the taste testers of my spicy pickled green grape tomatoes... :eek:

5. Mrs_stuart

thanks! i do have a pressure canner (and a cooker too) i just uesd the wrong word. i will try it again... I did notice that there was a difference between to pressure times from fin29
    "10 lbs. pressure for 25 minutes for quarts and 20 minutes for pints." and from what i have read in other posts...and My mom does hers for 10 minutes.
    I will go and check out the suggested web site. thanks

Belinda