HELP Pregnant doe eye gouged infected

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Disco Paul, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Disco Paul

Disco Paul Well-Known Member

Need help,
    Our pregnant Boer doe was gouged in the eye 3 days ago. Another doe got her. It did not get the eye ball but the tissue holding her eye in place. There is about 1" of tissue hanging out of her eye socket. It has been ok up till today. We have made sure that it's clean and put her in a seperate pen. It now looks infected. It's draining a clear fluid. It never bleed. What kind of antibiotic can we give her? Please help!
    Thanks Paul

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I would get ointment made for the eye itself. The skin hanging out will need to be trimmed and I would have a Vet do that.

Patty

3. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I woudl have a vet trim the tissue hanging out. If you don't, then at the very least, put some plain table salt in the palm of your hand and blow it into her eye. Do this once a day.

My buck impaled his eyeball on an old rusty screw and looked liek he was going to be blind. I did the old salt trick and he can see from it now- it cleared up completely except for a small white dot where the screw went in. *ouch*

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Whatever ointment you choose do not use one with a steroid in it. If you can control her you can eaisly, cleanly snip this off yourself. It will only get worse if it is hanging out so she can not close her eye all the way, the tissue will dry and get worse. She also can not clean her eye herself by blinking with tissue hanging out. You can also have her eye sewn shut with meds behind it, likely what I would choose to do. Vicki

5. OliveOyl

OliveOyl Member

I know this may sound strange, but fresh milk from most any mammal is the only living antibiotic there is - have any goat, sheep, human milk around? That is what I would recommend. It is the best healing "juice" around. :)
    Olive Oyl
    (La Leche League Leader and "grandma" to goats, sheep with horns, banties, ect.)

6. Disco Paul

Disco Paul Well-Known Member

Thank you,
    for all of the replies.
    Paul