HELP--Potato Bugs

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by luv2farm, Jun 6, 2008.

1. luv2farm

luv2farm Well-Known Member Supporter

:flame: OK, I've had it and need some help!!!!! I CANNOT get rid of these potato bugs!!!!!!!!:flame: I've tried Malithion (sp), Diathan, and 7dust. Heck, I've mixed ALL OF IT TOGETHER and sprayed 'em. I swear they are multipling as I sit here!! I'm spraying every 2 or 3 days. At this rate, I can buy potatos cheaper than this!!! Does anyone know of ANYTHING that will kill those little fuzzy red/orange tater bugs? It is not the striped beetle, but the fuzzy red bugs. They are stripping the plants to the ground!!

2. woodsy_gardener

woodsy_gardener Anchorite Gardener

Good Info here, here, here, and here.

Brief summary: CPB rapidly develop resistance to available pesticides. Natural predators and cultural practices can reduce but not eliminate CPB.
    And the technique that I once thought was my invention: Flaming; works great for small gardens. Get a butane charcoal lighter (with the long nose); brush the flame over eggs, larvae, and adults. I'm a strict organic grower and this technique has saved many plants for me. I use this against ticks also.

3. RiverPines

RiverPines Well-Known Member

Have you tried DE sprinkled over the plants?
    Thats what I use for all garden pest.
    No worry about resistance build up. :)

4. chicky momma

chicky momma Well-Known Member

I've used the squish method as well as a shop vac but have to be vigilant. If you're vigilant you can't eventually get them under control then hopefully there are less the next year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed haven't seen any YET this year. Lisa

5. debbiebofjc

debbiebofjc Well-Known Member

Gardens Alive! has Pyola, which it says works on potato bugs, but I haven't tried it.
    I am like Chicky Momma, I use the squish method. Sometimes I can get my 8 year old and 5 year old to help (they are shorter and don't have to bend over as much!).
    I've seen lady bugs sipping on the red tater bugs' juice. Do you have many lady bugs?

6. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Spinosad. If you use it correctly I promise it will kill CPB larva. I linked to what you need. I use it for other pests too.

Be VERY careful mixing chemicals. It's easy to get hurt doing that.

7. neal68

neal68 Well-Known Member

i use plain old spoiled hay around the hills and the potato bugs stay away, there is something they don't like about the hay.
    there is really no need for any chemicals in a garden there are plenty of non-chemical alternitives instead of poisining yourself with that nasty stuff.
    check out gardens alive they sell all natural products.
    good luck and safe gardening.

8. luv2farm

MaineFarmMom,
    Have you, or anyone else out there, tried this product. I'm telling you, I have tried everything!! I have covered the ground with plastc, sprayed with chemical sprays, sprayed with every "homemade" idea that anyone has suggested!! Nothing.....they are strippng them to the stems..... I would gladly purchae this product if anyone says that it WORKS !!!!!!

9. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Pick and squish or toss in soapy water. Only control I know. Nothing eats them.

10. luv2farm

Pick and squish is just not a option..........there is thousands of them...... But thanks to everyone thats offered an opinion.

[​IMG]

11. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Another pick 'n' squisher here, but when I remember to take it out with me I use a handvac I bought just for this purpose - it works really well and I can usually get all the rows done on one charge.

12. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

It works. There's a satisfying sense of revenge when you walk between the rows and look at hundreds of dead larva on the ground.

13. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Pick and squish is the only method that's working for me....after chores each evening it's off the the garden to do some killing....love those home grown taters....

14. prairiedog

prairiedog Well-Known Member Supporter

15. luv2farm

Now there is an idea that I've NOT tried....... where is that old car vac at??.......

That's what I'm looking for.........DEAD LARVA

Thanks everyone for all yor help.....

16. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

We tried the Sevin a couple of years ago, it was like putting parmesan cheese on a pizza.
    Last year we did a lot of pick and squish. Hauled lots of the larva in to the chicks.
    Still had skeleton plants. We will be doing the pick and squish this year as well but hope to beat em by starting as soon as the bugs pop out of the ground. Which they just have.

17. ONG

ONG Well-Known Member

Folks,

I have seen her potato patch, and if she tried squishing them all she'd start a flood and things are a bit dry there.

I was thinking about a shop vac, course you'd have to empty it several times. Probubly enough to fill up a couple of 50 gallon drums.

18. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Glad you posted a picture. Those are not fuzzy red bugs, but red larvae of ... the striped beetle.

Also look on the underside of the leaves and when you find bright yellow eggs all in a group, squish them!!!!

19. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

That spinosad looks pretty darn great!

Has anyone tried DE (diatomaceous earth) or BT (bacillus thuringiensis) on those little monsters? I'm losing the squish battle too this year.

20. goatsareus

goatsareus Well-Known Member

we used to use bt var. san deigo, but can't find it any more. For the past two years we have used spinosad and it WORKS. It is put out by Bonide. DH sprayed several days ago and we are bugless at present.