Help - Plywood flooring wet

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beststash, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

I am adding an addition to my home - I desperatly tried to get the building "dried in" before any rain - almost made it but........ We had a 50% chance of rain today and it has rained all day and is supposed to continue tomorrow. I cover my plywood flooring with tarps but it is soaked and still raining - 16" centers, 5/8" subflooring, 3/4 sturdi-floor T&G on top.
    Does anyone know - Will it be ruined? I realize their is nothing I can do about it but any advice appreciated.

2. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen to me about 15 years ago and had some delamination but not bad. As remember I had to replace a couple small areas.
    Up

3. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I had this happen in a 8' x 12' addition also. But I just had the 5/8" subfloor down. They were 12" on center. No delamination but some areas did buckle. I added crosspieces underneath and nailed everything back down. Seems to be fine.

4. greg273

greg273 Well-Known Member

in the course of construction, one can expect the materials to be rained on several times before the structure is 'dried in'. The glues used on plywood these days are much stronger than in the past. The floor wont be ruined, however i wouldnt let the water stand on the floor for too long. Use a broom or something to push the water off. (after its done raining. otherwise, YOU"LL be getting wet for nothing).
    Seriously, i've seen house after house with inches of water sitting on the floors, lasting damage is hardly ever done.
    greg

5. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

Thank you to everyone replying - although I have another day to just wait for the rain to stop (and accompanying anxiety) it seems that the damage will not be that serious. (Hopefully??)

Great info forum!!