Help! Please!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dosthouhavemilk, Jan 22, 2005.

1. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I need some advice, fast. We have a botched dehorning. The kid was dehorned by the vet's assistan(same guy who does all of our dehorning) on the 4th and last night when I checked them this kid was oozing blood and what looked like brain matter (I'm sure it isn't but it looks like it) from his left scab area.
    I called the vet this morning and he said to clean it real well, pack it with flour, gauze his head and give him 1 cc of Pen.
    My problem is I am not sure how to clean all this dried blood off of him and how to clean the wound. What do I use to clean it? Dish soap, Body wash? Just warm water. I have a warm compress on it now but just don't know how to get the dried blood off of it.
    I need to get him out of this house before he gets too warm because I would like to leave him on his mother. So time is a big factor.

Hope someone is here! Thanks!

2. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Until someone else comes....What I would do is clean the area with plain warm water & a rag. Then with a little neosporin. If there's not a lot of blood, just go gently & keep wiping. Get as much as you can, especially around the wound. Maybe a little peroxide, just once.

Tricia (whose goats are polled!)

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My babies start scratching at about 2-3 weeks after dehorning..and they someties get cottage cheese like stuff and some blood too. I would clean with alcohol prep pads or baby wipes (anti bacterial) or Isopropyl alcohol on a cloth. There is stuff called blood stop powder you can apply and then either a rinse with iodine or peroxide and/ or a good gob of bag balm. If its not alot of blood just let it scab up and rinse with iodine or peroxide....when it bumps on mom to nurse you may get more blood and mom may try to pull off bandage so keep a good eye on them.

4. dosthouhavemilk

We are used to a little blood when the scabs come off, but have never seen anything like this. Everything (including me) is covered in blood from last night and we used cobwebs to stop the bleeding last night since we didn't have any blood stop.
    I am using warm water to get it off and it it taking awhile. I finally got a look at where at his scab was covering and for the msot part it is a clean cut but the corner towards the middle of his head is where he was oozing so badly and there is still what is either a huge blood clot or some matter that is coming out. He wasn't really tender last night and he hadn't made a sound until I worked on the area near where he had been oozing. I am glad to see some feeling and reaction but felt bad when he yelped.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited to add: both his brothers are polled. :rolleyes: We had a polled buck and a non polled buck for this breeding. Eight eyars or so of dehorning and never seen anythign like this. We also dehorn our dairy calves and haven't seen this before.

5. mpillow

Does it need to be cotterized(sp?)?? Sounds really bad. You can heat up a piece of black iron pipe with a torch to do this but I'd have someone experienced do it.... It is hard to hear them in pain but sometimes its necessary to fix problem.

The goat will need some blood building follow up as well....Vicki will know she should be around soon....she is a time zone or two earlier.

6. dosthouhavemilk

I don't think so. It stopped bleeding last night and has not started bleeding since I have been working on him (I am taking a break obviously, to check these boards). At this point I just need it very clean and need to wrap it with gauze (have to see if I have any of that or I may need to run to the store....of course it is snowing here and supposed to be a storm coming through).

7. mpillow

If you have a maxi pad it will make a good dressing....I know it sounds awful but it will work! Just use something to hold in place...an old sock or dish rag if you dont want to use tape.

8. dosthouhavemilk

:haha: I would never ahve thought of that. Boy, those otehr kids would give him such grief. :p :haha:

9. mpillow

10. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

You Can use plain table sugar ,pack in the wound to stop bleeding when you dont have blood stop , it will help to clot and bacteria will not grow in it.
    You can also use Turmeric powder it will help in healing.
    You can use a damp tea bag to pack it to stop bleeding. :)

11. mpillow

Just checking to see how things were going....in the middle of the snowstorm?!
    Any improvement?

12. dosthouhavemilk

Sorry, updated everywhere else but didn't get back here. :eek:
    I cleaned it up (left a small clot over the cut itself). It looekd like a normal disbud (after the scab comes off), with a small cut towards the top of his head. Put the flour in, put a patch of gauze over it and then wrapped his head. lol I have pictures but not posted anywhere yet. Took him back to the barn and puthim back in with momma, brothers, aunt and twin doe cousins. He was doing fine and very happy to be back. Played for a little bit, but has been spending most of his time in the creep in the pile of sleeping kids. Utopia (his motehr) pulled out the gauze square and chewed on it :rolleyes: and the bandage has fallen down around his neck, so I will remove it when I get back from work this evening. We gave him a shot of Pen. He looks good and I am not as frazzled after getting down to the base and seeing what it looked like.

Now we have our new heifer calf who looks like she is going to die. This is much more serious though as she is chilled and has major scours. Started her on Sav-A-Calf (medicated). Just one thing after another. Windchill is supposed to be -19 this evening.

13. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

When you get bleeders like this after disbudding, or dehorning you can simply take some hemostates, find the bleeder, crimp it off and pull the vessel, it is what the vet would do. If you aren't good with that yet, than simply heat up the disbudding iron and when it is cherry red, apply it to the area and cauterize it. If you don't have a disbudding iron simply heat a piece of clean pipe hole it with vice grips and welding gloves and apply that.

Goats are notorious for scratching at their head dressings and biting or rubbing at body ones, rarely will simple packing work. For minor bleeding around the area before the bud comes off, Preperation H works really well. It in fact should be in everyones tackbox, for after kidding injuries of the vagina, and for our under eye circles from doing baby watch for weeks on end! Vicki