Help please

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tiergarten-CO, Jan 14, 2005.

1. tiergarten-CO

tiergarten-CO Well-Known Member

hi
    I need your help. We bought two goats 3 weeks ago and have one more. Everything was fine until two day s ago. They just did not feel good the two new ones. We could just tell. now it was very cold so we watched them closely.
    One had yellow discharge from her back area and the other one runny eyes. we gave them a shot of LA 200 bought them minerals and some probios.
    But yesterday and today both of them have diarrhea. But it is only two of them.
    We checked their temp and it is fine and otherwise they seem fine now. What can we do and what could it be? They are eating their grass mix but both stopped eating their grain.
    Thank you in advance
    Tony and Kerstin

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Have they been wormed? You can give human meds. (Pepto)for diarrhea. Fias co farm have a very good site that gives good instructions on meds. but a little hard to find the meds. . Just keep looking, they are there. Hope this will help till someone else comes in to help.

3. tiergarten-CO

tiergarten-CO Well-Known Member

thank you for your quick response.
    Yes they have been wormed. We are fairly new to goats and are just very worried. Will read at fiasco farm website now.
    thank you so much
    Kerstin

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

How old are the goats? It Could be coccidiosis if they are young.Any changes in the diet? Diareah is the bodies way of getting rid of the bad bacteria in the gut.I would make sure they are still drinking even adding Gatorade to the water if possible or flavor with koolaid.If the hay is what they will eat that should be fine.You can also do a look around in www.tennesseemeatgoats.com great info there.Keep up with the Proibos.

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

OK first thing I do when I get new goats is quarnteen them for at least 30day from my other goats. All new ones get the whole series of CD/T shots.
    My guess is that you changed food in some way. So would think
    1. stress of moving
    2. change in food
    all amounts to various possibilities but cocci is your biggest problem. and does cause diareah and will kill so first and formost get meds for cocci.
    give them only grass hay or alfalfa or grass hay and alfalfa pellets.
    give them probios and B1 (Vet RX only) or Fortified BComplex since the running nose and you gave LA200 you need to continue that in case it is pneumonia I would think thus the B Vits and probios. I personally would not give them any grain till you figure out what is wrong.
    Are they grinding their teeth??
    Tell us what they are does?? ages etc. and type of goat