Help please!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tltater, Jul 20, 2006.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

While I was at the hospital with my daughter while she was having surgery, of course I get a call that one of my pygmy does is down. They found her in the goat shed unable to stand. They didn't notice any other symptoms and to me it sounded like bloat. So, he gave her vegetable oil, rubbed her belly, and kept her up and trying to get her to walk. I am finally home. She seems somewhat nueroligical as well so....since I have been home, I have given her some probios, tried baking soda and have given her a thiamine injection. She can stand on her own if she has something to lean on. When I gave her the probios she was grinding her teeth. She is a 2 year old pygmy doe with a 4 month old doeling that still nurses off her occasionally. She is fed grass hay and gets put in a pasture to browse. She hadn't been in the pasture today and not sure if she has had any hay yet today either. She does look bloated on her left side which her mom always looks like that but she normally doesn't look that big. Anything else I should be doing? We do not have a goat vet in the area, so basically on my own here. I do have her in a large dog kennel which is keeping her standing and keeping her away from anyone else.

Thanks for any help!

Tracy

2. wardarden

wardarden Well-Known Member

Tracy,

Wish I could give you some advice but I am a newbie myself. Could she be poisoned by something? When my doe bloated I gave her some gasx like for humans and it seemed to help her.

Will keep you and doe in my prayers. :angel:

Arden

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Tracy, I would try a baking soda ball, and shove that down her. If she is bloated that wil really help. I have found for me that he baking soda balls help my goats. It does also sound like she ate something bad. I hope she is OK. Also, how is your daughter? Hope her surgery went fine and all is well.

5. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Thanks to all that have replied! Just an update. Seems the thiamine is working it's magic. She is up, eating hay, drinking....pretty much herself. With my other kids feeding them their hay today, she very well could have gotten some moldy hay. We have some hay the we had someone cut for us and I thought I got all the bad bails out, but may have missed one. Will be checking that out. No bad grain or anything else she could have gotten into. Going to keep her isolated until I know she is back to herself completely. She also ate some baking soda on her own too so....seems we got all bases covered.

Sweet goats: Thanks for asking about my daughter. She is doing ok. She has a very low tollerance to pain so this is extremely horrible for her. She had an ACL surgery. She blew it out in January playing basketball for the school. She lives, breathes and eats b-ball so had to get it fixed. We had to wait until her growth plates closed....but anyway.....she's a trooper and surgery went off without a hitch!

Thanks again,
    Tracy