help please

Discussion in 'Goats' started by murphyjamie, May 29, 2006.

1. murphyjamie

murphyjamie Well-Known Member

I have two little four month old pygmy bucks. I noticed last month that they had little white parasites(i'm assuming lyce). I gave them both .5cc injection of ivermectin cattle injection sq at the beginning of the month. I noticed today that I think they may still have lyce. Also, what color should there gums be. I read that you should watch the color of your goats gums to know if there is a worm problem. My goats gums are almost white, just a tad bit pink.

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Definitely worm them as soon as possible (tomorrow, if you can manage it). Little goats can die very quickly from worm infestations, and if their gums are nearly white, it means they have a lot of the little bloodsuckers inside them (not quite an accurate description, but hopefully gets the point across!).

There are pour-on lice medications which are suitable for goats, but it's been a while since I had to use one, and can't think of the names. Look up Hoeggers (goat supply catalog) online and see what they have. They also give a lot of good advice on goat health and goat care, so it's worth getting a copy of the catalog.

Kathleen

3. murphyjamie

should I worm with the ivermectin again or something different?

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

you can use the ivermectin oral 1cc for 22# body weight.
    it is very important to repeat the treatment in two weeks. mark our calendar.

5. murphyjamie

is it ok if I give the imvermectin as an injection? if not, what tricks do you use to make sure that the goat gets all of the medicine. My ivermectin is for injections. Is it OK to give it orally?

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

it is okay to give orally. somehow goats don't mind the taste of it.

7. murphyjamie

any tricks to how you give it?

8. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I load mine into the syringe then remove the needle. While standing over the goat I hold it under the chin and slip the syringe into the corner of the mouth then dispense medication.

9. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

For the lice, which btw (if they are the sucking kind) can suck the nutrients from the blood and if there's a heavy infestation can cause anemia, just use a barn fly spray, or a cat & kitten flea spray. I do not like using pour-ons. You really have to be careful which ones you use.

Get a barn fly spray from your feed mill or a cat/kitten flea spray that contains pyrethrins. Pyrethrins are considered one of the safer insecticides, especially if you are using it on baby pygmy goats. Spray on top of head (do not get into eyes/nose/mouth), along back from neck to rump and on the belly. Repeat 7-10 days later. 2 applications should take care of the lice problem. You can also use a flea comb, and comb a majority of the lice out.

You can give the kids human baby vitamins with lots of vitamin B and some iron to help build up the blood. Some people use geritol.

10. murphyjamie

thanks for all of the help. Ya'll probably think I'm asking silly questions but I just wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I did not realize that it was better to give the ivermecting orally as opposed to injections. If I give the ivermectin orally and some baby vitamins, is it still safe to spray for the lyce?