Help please scours

Discussion in 'Goats' started by meggie, Mar 9, 2005.

1. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

I bought a healthy 4 week old nubian doe. She is a bottle baby and always has been. She started with the runny poop yesterday. She does not have a fever. I bought the same repalcer the breeder uses . It is save-a-kid with the med for coccidiosis in it. She drinks a little under a liter twice a day.

My question is can I use further meds for coccidiosis ? Should I give her biosol ?
    I did give her kaopectate this morning and evening but still the puddles.

Thanks , for any advise I'm worried.

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, the first thing I would do is ring the person you got her from and discuss it with them. Also isnt a litre twice a day a bit much for a 4 week old....maybe that's causing the scours. I know with my girls who are 4 mths if one gets a bit much they scour the next day. :)

3. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

I agree that this sounds like an awful lot of milk for a young un. I would cut back on the amount of milk at each feeding and feed more frequently. The doe will let you know when and if she is hungry. Be sure to offer her some baking soda mixed into a bottle as this much milk in her abomassum could curdle and upset it even more.

Let us know how this little one is doing.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I think IF it were me, Iwould probably take the doe to the vet. one , because a small young goat, can die, from sxours, it doesn't take much, two,to get her tested, to rule out worms, etc. then I would also feed hay. and cut back on the milk. I have three kitchen babies at the moment, and they are eating about 18 ounces 3 times a day, which is as much as i will give them. no more than that. they are Nubians, pure breeds, big babies, and the y eat. they are hungry when they eat. they are also eating some hay. one of the three, only takes 10 oz. 3x a day. she is th smaller of the three, they are triplets.
    I would hav her pooped checked for worms, and other stuff, and just see what the vet has to say.

5. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

Thanks guys , I did think it was a bit much , but was following the breeders lead. It has been a long time since I had a bottle baby. My girls always do the nursing for me. I'm going to cut back on her milk and shake in the baking soda.
    I'll let you know how it goes. The vet is do out on fri. for disbudding on my other kids. If this little girl does not pick up tommorow though I'll have him out tommorow.
    Thanks everybody :worship:

6. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

I got my first bottle baby when he was 6 days old and he was drinking 6 oz. every 6 hrs. then when he was about 2 weeks old I started giving him a couple of extra oz. every so often and over a period of time I worked him up to eating all he wants now 3 times a day and I have never had a problem with scours. He has done great. Growing every day.

Tina