Help please--pig has mobility problem

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Maureen, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Maureen

Maureen Member

I recently purchased three baby pigs. And have never had a pig before..
    This AM I noticed that one was real mobile, but when she stands up erect, seems to have muscle spasms that make her back dip behind her front legs, it seems to happen real often. Hasn't stopped her eating, romping and digging around.
    Two of the three also have red blotches this morning....but this could be due to my adding costal hay to their sleeping area as I had run out of straw??
    They are fed grower feed, whole corn, and 'treats' twice a day of high pro dry dog chow (Because they just seem to love it so)...
    They also were moved two days ago into a bigger pen area and have been digging, eating everything they find. Could theyhave gotten into a plant or something harmful?
    To the best of my knowledge...they have never had any shots/vaccines or anything. Could this be a problem?
    Any help or ideas sure would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Maureen

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

a pig will hold it's legs under it like that when they are in pain.

3. pandbscott5925

pandbscott5925 Member

the first batch of piglets i raised, i had a couple that did that sometimes acted like a dog with distemper, but not quite as severe. i noticed it a couple of days after bringing them home. just watch them. keep an eye on eating habits and stool. their poop should not be pasty yellow. and it should be firm. keep an eye on them if something seem at of the ordinary, just post. im not an expert but their are some here.

4. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me this year. Newbie gets pigs and their legs start buckling from under them. I wormed them and a few days later they started to get better. Now I don't know if the wormer helped or if they were just adjusting to new food, water and surroundings, but they all got better. Just keep an eye on them, call a vet and get his opinion before giving any meds. Hope this helps.
    I should add they had a little diarrea during this time as well.

5. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

How recently did you get the piglets and how old are they?

I usually use a starter feed at first. I’m not sure about dog food. It could be tummy problems. The blotches could also be an allergic reaction to the dog food treats. I’d stop them.

Paul

6. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

Red blotches on a pig is an indication of fever. My neighbors show pig had that over the summer and a vet was needed.

7. Maureen

Maureen Member

Thanks all for your advise.
    Watched them like a hawk yesterday...Red blotches did fade once they were up and around and out of the hay. Took out the hay and replaced it with fresh straw. Took away all the food and treats and replaced it with medicated pig food with wormer designed for pigs 25-50 lbs....totally different food than the stuff I was advised to use from the other Food and Grain.
    The 'spasms' slowed and within 6 hours stopped....
    This morning they are complaining about the food (or lack of treats) but figure when they get hungry they will eat! Everything else seems normal- they were all running,frolicing, and snuffling in the dirt. The two that had the red blotches now have dry flakey patches (where the blotches were darkest it seems), other than that all seems well.
    Thanks again for the quick responses for this beginner!
    Maureen