HELP PLEASE, buck had a party today

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Jan 28, 2005.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, just so you all know, we are VERY responsible owners of all our animals and ALWAYS make sure our males are secure whether goat, donkey, stallion, stud dog. We've had 2 extremely odd things happen in the last 2 days now. Yesterday when I got home, my brand new mother fainting goat was in my boer doe's pen and the boer doe was in the fainter doe's pen with the 2 kids. Thank goodness everyont is alright, altho very hungry kids. There is no way this could have happened and all the gates were shut and the fainter doe is soooo myotonic, she can barely run much less jump something. Tonight when we got home, my breeding fainter buck is in with my doelings All which are 8-10 months, much too young for my 2 boer doelings (were triplet runts) and too young for the 2 fainter doelings too. This buck is very myotonic too and there is no way in he!! that he could have gotten over a 48" cattle panel, all of which are secured yet. I called the vet and he advised 1cc of Lutalyce (sp) in 14 days for each of them and if they don't cycle, to do it again in 14 days. Is this correct in anyone's experience. Not a lot of respect for vets around here with goats, and it was too late to call my other "good" vet office that I work with the horses/donkeys and really like. Please let me know what I can do, I know the one boer doeling this would kill for sure if she kidded. Thank you so much, Jenny

Now I just need to figure out if someone is messing with us when we are at work or if 3 goats just suddenly got super goat powers.
    Miniature Donkeys, Fainting Goats, Boer Goats, White German Shepherds, & Flemish Giant Rabbits

2. kickingbird

kickingbird Active Member

whooooooooooo sounds weird to me. lets hope its just a sibling or something like that, if you suspect someone else hook up a video recorder.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'd put something on the gate latches, where fingers would go. Like grease with powder that matches the gate on it. If it's a person messing with your animals, you'll know it, even if they wipe it off to get rid of prints. And if they don't wipe it off, you've got prints for the cops if you want to file a report.

Meg

4. dbarjacres

I really need ideas on what to do for the doelings, I need to abort them if they got bred. Is my vet accurate on what he told me?

It's not siblings, just my husband and I live here.

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you did right. watch and see who is doing this, this worries me more, some one is coming on your land, and messing with your animals. IF you find it again, call the police, or set some one to watch, and see who is doing this. You and your husband need to set a trap of some kind, or hid a camera and leave it there and let it record the hours, that you are gone.
    yes, the shots are ok. YOu do what you know is best for your goats, I breed, at 8 to 10 months, depending on size and weight. but I have dairy goats. you know your goats, and their size, so you make the call there, and the shots are probably the best answer, but set some kind of trap for who ever is doing this, I really wouldn't like some one coming on my land, with me not there. and good luck, and keep us posted.

6. dbarjacres

Well, we went and talked to our Amish neighbors across the road, and they are gonna keep an eye out for us. They were gone yesterday between 2-5 also, so we just don't know. This is just so wierd, why do stuff like that? I mean, why not open gates up, let animals out, take something (not to give ideas!) you know.

After some advice from Vicki, we took a flashlight out last nite and checked their bottoms. The bigger boer doeling is definately got "the look" and I know she was in heat the day before, the other three don't have any obvious signs, but may use the shots just to be sure.

7. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

when we were trying to get a handle on our does cycle we were told to give 2cc of lutalyse to her.. not sure of the dosage for making them pass in that manner. And from my understanding of this med it won't hurt the others if they are not yet bred.

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't assume that the buck did not figure out this trick on his own. It is amazing what those guys can do when a doe is in heat. Suddenly a nice, secure pen is not so secure any longer. I wouldn't discount the notion of him jumping the panel. Is he small enough to have anyway gone through?

Dad tells of a young bull he once brought home from auction that jumped every fence in the neighborhood. When one of the neighbors finally caught him, and called Dad to pick him up, the guy had a holding pen made of 8' cattle panels standing on end. This bull was almost over THAT fence before they got him trailered and sent back to the auction barn.

4' is not that high for an energetic buck. In fact, I had a young buck one time break his leg jumping over a four foot fence just to share a little feed with the doe.

The lutelyce sounds good to me. Although I do breed mine at 8-10 months.
    mary

9. dbarjacres

Nope, no way Cowboy could jump. He is VERY myotonic (stiff). Any other "normal" type of goat, I wouldn't question it. But plain and simple, most adult fainters can't jump or climb. We MAY have found where he could have possible gone thru. There was a spot in the panel where I'd had to cut one side of a horizontal line about a foot off the ground to get a doe's head unstuck last fall, and my husband noticed that little 6 inch piece was pushed into the girls paddock, leaving a 6 inch by about 12 inch opening (you know, 2 up and down squares on a panel). Maybe he squeezed thru there. We welded that spot back up and nothing has happened since.