Help!!! plants are dying

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Oregonsparkie, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

I started my seeds in cups. Last weekend I tilled the my first garden and transplanted the seedlings to the garden. They immediated started wilting and looks like they are dying.

Any suggestions or just start over with seed in the garden

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The plants need to 'harden' a bit before they are put out full time; this is done by exposure to outdoor elements a couple of hours, then a few hours the next day, until they are ready for full time. As for your present plants, are they getting full time sun? If yes you might try partial shade with what ever method is available to you, keep them moist, they may survive.

3. Oregonsparkie

I live in a sandy soil area but they are getting plenty of water. The greenbeans, pumpkins, peas, tomatoes are all dead. I just replanted new seeds outside. they are not in direct sunlight all day but they are in sun most of the day.

Thanks

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I don't know which part of Oregon you are from, but I'm in NW and I can never get anything to survive before May 15 outside.

I'm planning on putting my seeds out in the barn in the window on the 7th of May and let them sit out there a week. They are protected but don't have the night time heat like they do in the house. Last year I planted tomato plants and cucumber plants outside towards the end of April last year, and lost every one of them. It's very dissappointing, but this year I am going to be more patient, lol.

mljjranch

5. Oregonsparkie

Hey there. Im in the NE part about 30 miles from Pendelton. Grew up in Coos Bay.

6. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Ahhh, you are a lot warmer than me. :) I'm right off the Washington border about 40 minutes to the coast.

I'm jealous, lol

mljjranch

7. Oregonsparkie

You must not be to far from astoria. I spent about 4 years in Longview washington and went up your way several times

8. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We used to garden in CA near Brookings. Tilling the soil real well, starting plants in the greenhouse and planting in compost helps the seedlings get started. Here in AZ we use peat moss and it really helps.

9. Oregonsparkie

we had the plants started pretty good in cups The beans and pumpkins was about 8" tall but both died once transplanted into the ground.

10. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Wisconsin (Zone 4) we don't put any frost sensitive plants in the ground before Memorial Day. We also harden them off by putting them outside gradually--perhaps a half a day at first, in a sheltered place. Then a whole day. Then out in the open. Then all day and night. This goes on for about a week. Then, into the ground they go and a raccoon comes along and pulls them out! :no: