Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Smiles are Contagious
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! A whole lot of sweaters I threw in the wash came out pilled!

What can I do to save them? I don't know what happened.

I line dried and noticed the pilling while hanging.

·
Smiles are Contagious
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With a razor?

Do you know what caused this?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Men's electric razor would work lol but I meant one of those cheap battery powered sweater shavers from Wal-Mart. They're maybe five dollars in the household items section or sewing section.
I've had some of my sweaters do that if I put too many in the washer. I guess they rubbed together too much. I started hand washing them after that.

·
Smiles are Contagious
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok! Sorry, I had never heard of one of those. I have a bic type razor, do you think I could try it on one? I don't get to the store too often.

I probably did put too many in at once.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Try it in the armpit area where nobody will see if it looks weird. I've never tried that way so let me know if it works. I'd say it'll take awhile tho.

·
Smiles are Contagious
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, great idea with the armpit. I will try it and let you know. The next time I go out- I'll buy one. I have 15 sweaters like this now.

·
Smiles are Contagious
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah- so I am just going to do one to keep me warm until I get to the store- I will never overstuff again!

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I've found that a pumice stone (like they sell for use on calluses) works better than any kind of shaver or razor. Plenty powerful, no batteries to run out, and no danger of cutting the base fabric yarns.

I put the sweater flat on the bed or the couch (it's nice to have something that will hold on to the fabric rather than be slippery like a table), and run the stone from top to bottom.

This also works on t-shirt knits (like tank tops) and even upholstery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts