HELP! Piglets are dying!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Laura Workman, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I need help fast and there are only two viewing.

I had nine potbelly piglets born overnight Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Last night, I went out and one seemed a little bit weak. I brought it in and tried to give it some milk, but it wasn't interested. I thought maybe Momma Pig could take care of it best, so put it back into the nest.

This morning at 7:00, I found two dead (one was the one from last night) and two looking really bad. The other five looked fine. I brought them all in and tried to warm up the live ones. Eventually, after about three hours they both died. I just went out to check and found two of the remaining five looking very weak.

Can anybody tell me what's going on? Why are they dying? What can I do?

2. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Have a vet you can call for advice? Sometimes even a feed store can give a little advice.

Has this sow ever had piglets before and if so, was there any problems? Is she lactating? She's not shunning them is she?

Edited to add: I have never raised them before this year and only have a pig we're feeding to butcher. I'm trying to contact a neighbor who may have raised them... and see what she advises. At the moment she must be outside doing chores, but I'll keep trying to reach her.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Sounds like it might be an iron deficiency. Call your vet immediately.

Ken Scharabok

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ditto Ken's reply

5. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Well, I wrote a big long reply and must have hit the wrong button, because it's not here.

Suffice it to say, there are three piglets still alive, and they look pretty chipper. I think it was pneumonia and have piglets on antibiotics.

Thanks everybody for your help and support. You guys are the best!

6. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Laura did you end up calling a vet?

Very happy to hear you have been able to save some of them. Congratulations.

7. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Laura I dont konw if you know this but one of the best things you can feed them is your goat milk.