HELP, Parent mowed down trumpet vine!!!

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by drgnldy71, Oct 11, 2005.

1. drgnldy71

drgnldy71 Serene Dragon Farm

Yesterday, in their never ending desire to "Help" me my well meaning (sp) parents decided to mow my yard. The end result was a destroyed Trumpet Vine. There is only about 12" of green vine left and absolutly no leaves what-so-ever. This plant had grown 8-10 feet over the summer on some of the runners. It was doing wonderfully, I had it draped over the fence and when it bloomed it was georgous, the bees and hummingbirds were there all summer. Now there isn't much left. Does anyone know, will the plant come back in the spring?

2. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

Oh, hon, don't worry. They're like weeds. They grow very, very strongly. And just a note, make sure you keep it from any permanant structures, I had one actually move and crack a cement block wall of my barn. That's how I know they're hard to kill. I couldn't.

3. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

It'll come back. DH once chopped mine out and took a huge section of root. It took 2 years but the thing came back with a vengance! He has to watch his step around it now, it's already tripped him twice.

4. Lil in md

Lil in md Well-Known Member

It'll come back I can't get rid of it .I have some I keep the rest I keep chopping down and it comes back more and more . Mine reproduces everywhere Lillie

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I have one that we've been trying to kill for about 10 years now. Can't be done.

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I have a book about woody landscape plants and in refering to trumpet vine, the advice given was to plant them and start running.