HELP NOW. She's dying - how do we do a C section by ourselves

Discussion in 'Goats' started by barngirl, Feb 20, 2011.

1. barngirl

barngirl Well-Known Member

The vet can't make it in time. How do we do it by ourselves?

HELP.

2. RoyalValley

RoyalValley Well-Known Member

Prayers for you. I have no experience! Thinking of you!!!

3. thaiblue12

thaiblue12 Enabler!

I wish Emily- Ozark Jewels was on right now. She has done it before, I never have. What I read was she shot the doe in the head, and cut the kids out, all in 5 mins or less.

As far as your homemade colostrum receipe, not a good idea. Either find a goat person who can sell you some. I wonder if you can use cow's colstrum? Not sure if the cow is a good idea or not, but you need antibodies, and all the benefical things that come with it, not high caloric stuff. One chambered newborn stomachs should only get milk.

Sorry about your doe :(

4. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

There was a thread about someone doing this... do a search with keyword c-section here on the goat forum and set it to search back about 3 months. they shot the doe and then immidiately cut into her in a certain spot, but if she's in a coma, you could do it and shoot her after....soryy i'm no more help, but be strong and do what you have to do!

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

6. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Kill and cut if you have no other choice....anyway you can.

7. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

here is what was in the thread... soryy, no better instructions, but you cut high into their side behind the last edge of the rib cage, I think... "I pulled her outside(she was on carpet inside), shot her and sliced the kids out. If I have to do this I do not wait for the doe to bled out. I shoot, I slice and the kids are out within five seconds. Mulberrys heart was still pumping. "

8. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm Well-Known Member Supporter

No experience with doing it, only what I have read. By now I hope the deed is done and you at least have live babies to cuddle to cut the pain of losing your doe. :( I am so sorry you are going through this.

9. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Have you ever butchered a deer?

10. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Listen to what Suzie said, shoot her and open her up...You can do it, cut carefully and quickly...Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  11. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes you can use cow colostrum. You should save it and freeze it every birth.

Can't you reach in and pull the kid? If not, you will have to kill mom and recover the kids.

12. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

In a pinch you can get packedged goat colostrum. It's not the best, but it's better than nothing. Sorry about your doe. :(

13. Our Little Farm

Our Little Farm Well-Known Member Supporter

Hope you managed to save the kids. I am so sorry u r having to go through this. :(

14. Creamers

Creamers Lucas Farm & WV Raw Milk

I am very sorry.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  15. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Our Prevention kids show that one can use cow's colostrum. Our Prevention kids are raised on cow's colostrum and cow's milk. They never touch goat's colostrum/milk.
    Of course, the vast majority of the colostrum is from dairy cows raised on our property, so that helps.

16. barngirl

barngirl Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your encouragement and suggestions/help. My family and I just experienced the worst nightmare of our lives. We lost Tenacity and her 3 beautiful kids ~ 2 bucks and 1 doe. To have to watch your beloved doe die (it happened SO fast we couldn't even get a gun out...) and rip her open and cut her up was absolutely horrid. The doe that we helped birth, bottle feed and lovingly care for for two years. My twin is a hero - I just sat their balling, praying and doing what I could. We rushed the triplets inside and spent over an hour trying to bring them around, but I wouldn't be surprised if they came out dead...we did feel them moving this morning though, so who knows when it actually happened.

Please continue praying for us. This is the time that we just want to give up - we all feel hopeless over here.

Moral of the story: Keep Ketosis Sticks on hand at all times. Watch them like a hawk and look into every stinkin' symptom. Call the vet RIGHT AWAY and if things look iffy, do a C-Section RIGHT AWAY. They're not that pricey.

And sometimes - even if you do all of the above - it's just not meant to be.

Thanks everybody.

17. unregistered65598

unregistered65598 Guest

Awww I am so sorry, I was praying for a better outcome.

18. farmmom

farmmom Well-Known Member

So sorry Barngirl! I can't begin to imagine what you've been through. (((hugs)))

19. pygmybabies

pygmybabies Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow. That is horrible I am so sorry.... I am really upset by this...I wish you didn't have to go through this...you are in my prayers

20. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm Well-Known Member Supporter