HELP - now all goats are sick

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Oct 26, 2004.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

see my previous post Sick Doeling (I think - it's a few down). Now the four spring fainter doelings that are/were sick just have a very mild cough yet, but the two year old boer doe that's with them (cause she is an escape artist in the big goat pasture) that is just two weeks bred, was very sick :waa: this morning. With her being bred, I am really confused as to what drug to give her, so called the best vet I know of (use them for the equines all the time) and he said, being short bred, the virus would be more likely to cause a miscarriage than the drug, and to use the Oxy-Mycin (thought it was Oxy-Tet I had, but it's the Oxy Mycin - they had lots of generics to choose from so I just picked one of them :eek: ). So I gave her just over 3cc IM - she's 90ish pounds. Also 1cc of banamine, cause she didn't want grain even.

Tonite, she's still very coughy/congested sounding, still doesn't want to eat either. I gave her Nutri Drench (the others too) which she hated. She is NOT down tho.

I guess I'm rambling cause I'm not really asking any questions yet. But here is my big concern...I've had horses/donkeys/mules for 15 years and knock on wood, have only had 2 sinus infections, 2 foot infections and some very bad castrastions done, but everything else has been fine. Here I only have the goats for 10 months, and w/in 4 days, I have 5 sick goats, 3 which were/are pretty sick. I really can't take all the stress of this! Do goats always get sick in a group or what is going on. Did buy a new 3 mo doeling 3 weeks ago, that was quaranteened for 10 days, she's the only healthy one in that group. I do have 4 other adults in the summer pasture yet, and they are fine (so far). I love the goaties and really enjoy them (more than the donkeys I think), but if they get sick this easy, I will not continue to pursue breeding and just keep 2 as pets.

Jenny

2. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

Hi Jenny,
    I don't have any answers to your questions as I am also new to this goat raising. I too live in Wisconsin and had one of my Nubians go down this past weekend. The vet came out and Moose has drainage coming from his nose and eyes with a high temp. The other goat that he is with on a regular basis also had the beginning of it. I also have two Alpines that have a dry cough. The vet prescribed an antibiotic and gave Moose a shot for his high temp. It seems to be working well. My pygmy goats are the only ones that don't seem affected. Personally, I think that it is this Wisconsin weather that we have been experiencing lately.
    Good Luck, Heather

3. dbarjacres

Sorry you're going thru the same thing Heather. At least I know I'm not alone. Ugh, the weather has been awful - except Sunday and Monday were beautiful, but we've been so cold and rainy. Good luck to you too.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

In your case, yes all the goats will now become ill that have contact with the original goat that brought this pnemonia (likely pasturella) onto your place, except those who received immunity to it via their dams colostrum, or vaccination.

Besides the antibiotics, which I would be using 200mg oxytetracycline, and the banamine (which you can only use for 6 days), I would be using a feed through antibiotic, the crumbles of oxytetracycline can be purchased at all feed stores (CTC) found under calf meds in the feed books. Use the calf dosage, and keep the goats on it until spring, or you have used the 50 pound bag. Certainly cheaper and better for the goats than shots off and on all winter, pasturella is notorius for showing up again and again in stressed from the illness, goats. This is because pasturella is a normal bacteria found in the nose of goats, it's the stress of humidity, heat, wet bedding with ammonia, a goat who is a carrier, that brings it on and keeps it in the herd. It takes a long time for the goats to recover. Once well next spring you may want to think about adding a pasturella vaccination (one that carries only hemoticula and multicidia) to your vaccination schedule, it can be only given to well goats, so no need to use it now. The bactrin for this, for immediate relief will cause huge abscess at the shot site, so it isn't an option for goats.

Give probiotics while you are giving them the injectable antibiotics, even if you do move to the feed through, continue their injections on the sickest ones, for the full 7 to 10 days.

Dehydration will be the thing that kills the goats if they go down. Get lactated ringers from your vet or pipevet.com the IV set up is great, you simply use it subq, building a large handsized bubble of fluid up high over the shoulder, let it slowly absorb, putting another one on the otherside when the first one gets smaller. If they only sell you the bottle just simply do the shot subq.

You should put your herd under quranteen during this time, not letting others with stock near yours, and taking normal percautions with your clothing and shoes until your stock is well.

Good luck with this. Vicki

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

When we have to deal with pasteurella I add (to the tetracycline etc.) a human (or horse) expectorant, to help clear the lungs. Can't spell it but I'll try Guiefenesan(?)

6. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

also when mine are off feed, I always give them a vit B shot twice a day. I usually give a B complex because that is what is easier to find in our area.

7. dbarjacres

Thanks everyone. I'm going out right now to give Probios to all and Vit. B. I hope all are doing better this morning. :(

8. dbarjacres

Well, everyone seems to be doing well today. They all got Vit B and Probios past too. All are alert and begging for food big time! Hopefully this "thing" has broke it's hold and we're on our way to wellness again. I almost just wish it'd just get it over with and get cold here. This icky 42 degrees and rain for days doesn't help any of us.

9. doralee

doralee Member

Goats are usually wonderfully healthy, easy keepers. I'm still new to the goatie thing, In my experience the only goat that has given me any problem {lots of coughs and colds, never ending runny nose} ended up having CAE. Which can effect the immune system. Other than that doe, all others have been wonderfully healthy! Don't give up!!!
    You have definitly hit a hic-up! I'm sorry.
    Doralee