HELP!! New Neighbor Problems

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pyrnad, Apr 17, 2006.

1. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I have new neighbors, they moved in a month ago from Lake George ,NY area. I live in Maine and have a 25 acre homestead. We have spoken often in the last month. My phone rang at 12:30am. It was them complaining about a barking dog over here. That the dog barks every night and wakes them up. I have Great Pyrenees as livestock guardians, and their is a law in Maine exempting them from the bark ordinance. I called her back and explained this. She told me I was being nasty, and if I did not doo something about the dogs she would. I am wide awake so I called local PD. They came took a report, read the law and said animal control would speak with her in the am. I am now very frightened for my dogs safety. Ideas?

2. lilmommajnn

lilmommajnn Well-Known Member

Shoot the neighbors? :shrug:

3. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I have though of putting HOGS big ugly stinky ones behind my barn. It borders their back yard.(city folk). I figure I can stink them out in a week.

4. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

Get more dogs. If they are fenced and in controll. What is the problem?

Hang a sign nosy neibors shot on sight. Survivors shot a second time.

I would make sure as you seem you have to follow the rules for dogs.

There is a diff in a loose dog and a controlled dog.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If it is your dogs doing the barking, address the reason for the barking. There is no reason anybody needs to be annoyed by your critters. They could get a flock of guienas or peacocks just so you could experience the annoyances your critters are providing them, and still be within this law. Life is filled with two way streets, why do you speak of only one way?

6. daytrader

Also tell them. If the dog is barking. They NEED to go see what they are barking at. Could vary well be the person in their pole barn ripping them off.

7. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I am not speaking of only one way. They could have said something during one of the times we have spoke. We have coyotee in the area that are howling, hence the dogs doing their job. They are all in fenced in areas. What I am really complaining about is the way they handled it. They only have 1 acre, and if they got peafoul or guienas it would not bother me(I have had them myself)

8. daytrader

Best 12 bucks I spent so far.

Shop lifter INJURED on site. Shop lifters Mother shot at after I realize.

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Is the sound of their barking 'fenced in' too?

10. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

No, and thank heaven for it . If I did not have the livestock guardians, all of my goats would be coyotee food. You are missing the piont. They knew their was a farm here and they knew about the dogs before they bought. They could have also said something sooner about the dogs.
    It is now 2:30 am and they are in their shed banging stuff to make the dogs bark!!!!

11. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

It appears you need to address the coyote problem more so that a ligatimate neighbor problem. If your neighbor has 50,000,000 acres or one inch; what does it matter - they are your neighbor. You owe them the same respect that you exspect from them. Don't call the cops, they have no ability to address coyote problems, the animal control people or similar is the correct place to seek an answer.

Going to bed now, I will seek this post again tomorrow.

12. daytrader

I like a gardian dog. JUST if they are not fenced in. They are targets.

Fence, lead, chain or rope them. DO NOT let them run wild. Give dogs ALOT less freedom then you give you kids.

13. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I do address the coyotee problem, this is why I have the dogs. Animal control will do nothing about wild animals. We are overrun with coyotee here in Maine.
    I agree about the respect. They did not respect me by not mentioning it , and waiting until 12:30 am to wake my entire house up with the phone.
    I phoned the PD, because my animals lives were threatened. I do not tolerate someone threatening the lives of the animals on my farm.

14. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

My dogs are not loose. they are in fenced in areas with the goats.

15. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Give em a little time...soon they'll adjust...

My grandmother live for over 60 years near the end of an airport runway. When I went to see her, the jets screaming overhead and rumbling the house kept me awake.

Grandma never even heard or took notice of them.

I once moved next door to a place that had (what sounded like) 875 Game Roosters. For 2 weeks, all I could hear in the early morning was roosters crowing.

It wasn't long until I never even noticed them. Your neighbors will adjust. You guys have both over-reacted IMHO.

16. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

pyrnad, you have my sympathy...

Neighbor problems, especially that cause you to fear for your animals lives, can be horrible. You really can't escape from them.

I don't know what is up with some folks! Don't they realize that moving next to a farm with livestock will entail noise and aromas?

They don't sound like the nicest folks...but is there any way you can contact some kind of third party such as a mediator and come to some sort of understanding with them?

On all those acres, I guess that their house is still pretty close to yours, if you are planning to use a pigpen to annoy them? I dread the day they sell the building lot on top of the hill bordering our property. The only folks who would spend the kind of money they are saking for those views would be the type who would build a McMansion and then complain about my goats hollering.

17. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

I've been on both sides of that fence..

When we moved to Alabama, our only neighbor had 6 dogs, and we had 4..his dogs barked incessantly, all night long which caused our dogs to respond.

What did I "do" about it? Nothing. It was farm country..we had moved there..dogs BARK on farms. Was it annoying? Oh yes it was. After awhile, our dogs got tired of it and settled down. His never did stop yapping all night long..oh well..

I'd no more expect a farm person to shut his dogs up than I would somebody to ask me to shut my rooster up at 5AM..If they don't like it, they can always move back to wherever they came from.

You have my sympathies..Other than that, I'd advise to just try and get along with them somehow..IF that's possible.

18. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

As someone who has had two sheep farms in their town buckle and close down because of coyote predation I do not think anything pyrnad has done or is doing is unreasonable. Guard dogs bark, it is their job. Her dogs are behind fences, on her property, legally doing what they are supposed to do. I'm sorry the new neighbors find this disturbing... but after a 12:30 pm phone call and banging in the garage all night? We'd be out at dawn target practicing our way through a box of ammo. With the big guns. And we'd be doing this every morning for a month of Sundays if necessary.

Threating this woman's guard dogs is threatening her livilihood, which she is making legally, on her own property. I'd have filed a police report too.

But let's suppose the neighbor "wins" and she has to pull her dogs in at night. Would she be within her rights to then dump the lamb carcasses, torn up and skinned, in her neighbor's driveway for them to dispose of?

19. just_sawing

just_sawing Haney Family Sawmill

I agree with you. Your dogs are there and they are there for a reason. Now I happen to have goats around me and goats bed down where you make a spot for them. We are in real Coyote country. I wonder if you could bed your goats not at there fence but in a place farther away from them maybe not with your land. I am now cleaning up a junk pile. I have one cloase neighboro who when we left to go to the store and a mule we had teathered out got hung up sat there and belly laught at it as I cut it loose in a bad situation with 10 year olds crying. that was 12 years ago that I have piled my broke rusty stuff beside there pretty yard. I think they got the message. Who was hurt we all were.

20. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

It does not matter where I put goats at night. Near the house and barn they are safest even with the dogs. You can hear the dogs when the coyote howl and attempt to get a free meal here. I keep 2 heards, one meat one milk, and of course the kids that are weaned. That is 3 areas of goats. I have not lost an animal in the 11 years I have lived here. I do not intend to start now. Goats bleat ,cows moo, roosters crow, pigs squeel. The Manure pile has odor. Would not matter what I do here with the dogs they will find something to complain about. I am not moving and giving up my way of life. In 11 years no one Else has complained about my dogs.