Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have nubian goats and we just lost a young doe and now it looks like we are going to lose our buck. they both seem to have the same thing, nasty green smelly poop and it is real runny. We have wormed and wormed but nothing is working. What could it be? We have no vet in our area that deals with goats or even large animals. Thanks for any and all advice

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Could be e. coli - do you have scour halt or pig pump? It could also be coccidia - both have really bad smelling scours associated.

I'd try the pig pump first - it will help "dry" them up - follow with probios to keep rumen active.

Then start them on coccidia treatment - DiMethox 40% is our drug of choice, but others use Albon or Sulmet.

Once you find thse drugs, you can do a search for doses on this site.

·
Kathy in S. Carolina
372 Posts
Hilltop: I agree with BlueHeron's post. I hope your goat is better soon. This board is great with so much information. We're lucky to have such knowledgeable people here.
- Kathy

·
Premium Member
16,016 Posts
Would pepto help soothe the gut while the cocci treatment does it's job?

What are you feeding? Have you put them on straight hay or browse until their gut settles? Do they have baking soda whenever they want?

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Kaye White has some excellent info on dairygoatinfo.com about fighting ecoli, certainly will take more than just the pig pump to save the kids, plus it's in your soil, your next kid crop will be effected also, might want to vaccinate. Does can also have ecoli mastitis, it's a horrific bug.

But yes like Emily said, what are you worming with? Also how about just taking some of the poop to the vet for a $10 fecal, yes it can be ecoli, but most diarrhea deaths in goats is worms and cocci. Vicki

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Sorry about your goats.

It would be helpful if we knew the ages of your goats and how long you have had them. What have you been feeding them and have you made any changes? Are they in a pen with browse or are they in a dry lot? What and how much did you worm them with and when? Can you take a rectal temp? Are they showing any other symptoms such as runny nose or coughing? Are they thin or fat? Are they active or laying down? How long have they been sick? How many other goats do you have and how are they doing? Anything like this you can tell us is very useful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have mostly been browsing this spring. Both looked really good, healthy, shiny coat in excellent shape. And then all at once came up with this. We have been worming with safeguard on a regulat basis. We have a total of 8 goats, 1 buck (he is sick) and 1 young doe, and 6 full grown does. So far they all seem fine, no sign of anything wrong. No coughing, no running nose, He is laying down now and I really doubt he will make it up. He has been going down hill for about a month, he seemed to get better but the last two days he has taken a turn for the worse. They are all fat and healthy except for him now but he was so pretty and fat. I just wish I knew what it was a lady I know that is a goat expert and I think she really is said it was probably worms or some kind of parasite. THanks for the help, we treated for cocci but apparantly it wasn't that.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
They have mostly been browsing...and you have been worming regularly with safeguard. Please get a fecal done on some of your goats...at the very least switch to Cydectin. Vicki

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Get the poop to the vet for a fecal. Don't know how much your goats cost, but I'm guessing they were more than the $10 a fecal will cost.

It is really hard to save animals once they get to this point, better to get help before it gets incredibly bad like this.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Depending on where you live, and that does make a huge difference with goats, Safeguard wormer may be totally ineffective.

If your buck has been slowly going downhill for a month, it does sound like anemia from a huge worm burden. If he were mine, I would worm him with Cydectin immediately and hope it was not too late. Anytime an animal is going downhill slowly, something needs to be done as once they get to the point of no return it may be impossible to turn them around.

"Cydectin Pour-On for Cattle" is a a purple wormer that smells like kerosene. it is given BY MOUTH to goats and NOT poured on.

It is given at the rate of 1cc per 22-25lbs, repeat in 10 days on this goat.

This stuff is pricey as it comes in amounts large enough for cattle. I just bought a new 500 ml container of it and it was $68.90.....but it will last me a VERY long time and i try to use it wisely. You can find it at feedstores (my hubby picked this up from his relative's feedstore), or order it from Sharon Miller on the forum here. She has goat supplies and stuff and can beat most prices. Click on this link;

www.m-ssupply.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts