Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 by 12 foot area for my kitchen.

On one of the 16 foot sides is a door 3feet from the corner and 3 feet wide, which leads to the out door deck plumbing for water and drainage his plumbed in on the remaining 10 feet.

___dr __________
Plumbing

-------------------
h X front door here
a
l
l

open to living area entry door here

Living area 18 by 16
x marks where the stove pipe is (stove in basement)

the hall is 8 foot wide and allow entry to a bedroom aand and bathroom (doors are directly opposite each other the hall is 8 feet wide as it is end with the open laundry room with machines facing right in front when you walk in
Windows are not set in stone this floor is just framed on in.

I like to can, bake our own bread, I cook.
My pantry is down in the basement.
I like drawers. I will be building all of the counters and cabinets by ourself. I have invested in the tools and I have done contruction I have a 4 year degree in theatre design and contruction so I can handle tools. I am very pratical and I tend to well turn homes into PRISONs I am not a decorator --I am far to functional but this time I want a home that is warm and charming.

The wall will be wood planks sanded and sealed.
I will have a dishwasher
standard frig side by side freezer (one unit)
double sink
I have to have and ele. stove.

Now here is the crazy deal. I do craigs list and I have
the following items on the prop.

a wall oven with micro (good only issue the oven does not work at 400 but the person said 395 and 405 is how they worked around this

I have an ele cook top set in style - new discontued never even installed

I have a set in stove and oven but it has a smooth glass cook top which is not good for canning. I could use any combo of these in the kitchen and I could put a cook top in the basement just for canning.

Honestly I have lots of choices and this is my weak area.

We will be having weekly pot luck for 16 people for bible study at our home.

Feel free to give me ideas and styling tips. I am willing to learn. Note my life style has changed from working mom suburb style to farm wife homeschooling back to basics.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
One thing you might look into is bread boards. As you look at the drawers in the counter cabinets, look just above them...below the countertop you'll see there is approx 1.5 inches of space...just wood. That can be slotted and a board cut/glued up to fit in the slot. maybe 3/4" thick, the width of the drawer, and the depth of the countertop. You pull the board out to use it as extra counter, cutting board, place to sit hot pots, etc.

We have a range/cooktop in an island in the center of the kitchen. It has counter space on one side, and an 18" wide moveable butcherblock cabinet on the other. the butcherblock thing is really cool. it's actually a regular drawer cabinet with a butcherblock built as the "counter". It's great for pastry, cookies, etc. as well as chopping.

We have a wall oven and love it. It's raised up to the height I wanted, with a microwave above it. Below is this huge space for all those pots and pans and weird things that never fit anywhere else :)

We also have a drawer for cookbooks. They stand UP in the drawer and you view it from both sides (it's eyelevel)

You could create a drop down leaf on one end of a counter, or the backside of the island (if you decide to have one) that will give you extra counter space or a table :)

remember to take pictures of your project as you go, if you can :)

·
Premium Member
42,674 Posts
I have a 16 by 12 foot area for my kitchen.

On one of the 16 foot sides is a door 3feet from the corner and 3 feet wide, which leads to the out door deck plumbing for water and drainage his plumbed in on the remaining 10 feet.

___dr __________
Plumbing

-------------------
h X front door here
a
l
l

open to living area entry door here

Living area 18 by 16
x marks where the stove pipe is (stove in basement)

the hall is 8 foot wide and allow entry to a bedroom aand and bathroom (doors are directly opposite each other the hall is 8 feet wide as it is end with the open laundry room with machines facing right in front when you walk in
Windows are not set in stone this floor is just framed on in.

I like to can, bake our own bread, I cook.
My pantry is down in the basement.
I like drawers. I will be building all of the counters and cabinets by ourself. I have invested in the tools and I have done contruction I have a 4 year degree in theatre design and contruction so I can handle tools. I am very pratical and I tend to well turn homes into PRISONs I am not a decorator --I am far to functional but this time I want a home that is warm and charming.

The wall will be wood planks sanded and sealed.
I will have a dishwasher
standard frig side by side freezer (one unit)
double sink
I have to have and ele. stove.

Now here is the crazy deal. I do craigs list and I have
the following items on the prop.

a wall oven with micro (good only issue the oven does not work at 400 but the person said 395 and 405 is how they worked around this

I have an ele cook top set in style - new discontued never even installed

I have a set in stove and oven but it has a smooth glass cook top which is not good for canning. I could use any combo of these in the kitchen and I could put a cook top in the basement just for canning.

Honestly I have lots of choices and this is my weak area.

We will be having weekly pot luck for 16 people for bible study at our home.

Feel free to give me ideas and styling tips. I am willing to learn. Note my life style has changed from working mom suburb style to farm wife homeschooling back to basics.
I designed our kitchen in one end of a 15'x19 room and love the layout, It is basically in a 9 x 15 area so it could easily adjust to your situation, with just a little modification here and there. it would be even better if you could put an opening twixt your living area and the kitchen for the bar area. You would probably not want to have the same decor due to the bible study group, but the floor plan is perfect and provides a very efficient, comfy working kitchen. Go to youtube.com and do a quick search for evola15 then scan down to about the third or fourth video, you will see the pic of the bartop, and the back wall above the cabinets. I think she titled this one "kentucky cabin". click on that and check out the kitchen. It may take a bit to load the video, as my Yvonne takes quite a while to tour the place. :)

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank

Ann thanks about the bread board I had forgotten that I liked that feature when I looked at the store stuff. So, that reminds me to go back and write it down.

Yvonne hus. (My sisters real name is Yvonne - so it always makes me think of her when I see your posts) I love the doors. Did you make them if so was the hardware off the shelf or ordered?

Now you have open to the floor storage in the kitchen do you live in an area that has road dust? That is a concern of mine. I heat with wood and the area is sandy. In the summer our driveway/road is traveled quite abit by heavy truck hauling salmon. The dust is an issue.

Also your cabin is like many of the real AK cabin here.

I will try and get a photo or drawings or something.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
K--I really like my kitchen. The floor space seems about the same as yours as in mine. I have about 6 running feet of counter space, have of that is taken up by the microwave and dish drainer. THe rest of the counter space is a prep area(about the size of a bread board) next to the stove(the sink is on the other side). All very compact, I practically stand in one spot to cook. After working with this kitchen, I firmly believe counter space is overrated! I cook dinners/parties for 16+ in there. I have to be (somewhat) organized and of can't let dirty stuff build up, but in the dau to day and lots-of-people cooking I'm happy with the minimal counter space. THe rest of my kitchen space has a hutch where I keep not-everyday dishes and cookbooks, and I have a couple cheap shelf units where I store canned goods. I have a nice 6-seater table, which I can squeeze 8 around. WHen I have all the family and friends over, the adults eat at the table and the kids eat on the coffee table. Also, since we're not wide, we can fit more people on the sides of my table using benches and getting cozy. When I have a lot of people over I set everything out buffet style along the counter and stove.

I would love to have some cabinets built in along the two walls. I live in an a-frame so the walls are slanted, which makes you have to be creative. I can always use more pantry space, and I'd MUCH rather have that then counter space. Also, if you cut down on counter space, you can get away with shallower shelves or cupboards, which comes in really handy in giving more floor space to move around in and adding more chairs and people. I would also love to have a built in bench under the window to add storage as well--then I could squeeze 6 in along that side of the table! or it could even be used for a bed(a narrow one!)

If I ever need more work area, like when I bake Christmas stuff and get everything out, or roll out pie crust, I use my kitchen table. I work very hard to keep that table VACANT of junk. NO PILE UPS!

It's funny my husband complains that the kitchen is "small" (our house was built as a vacation cabin so no serious kitchen space), but I'm the one that actually cooks and I love the smallness of it, despite that I actually do a lot of cooking, baking, etc.

So, here's some pix of my kitchen. That big cupboard to the right of the stove is full of food. I'm adding these so you can see how I jerry rigged it together, and how small spaces can work. In useing this I sure love the open floor space much more than loads of counter space. It is so much more versatile when lots of people come over. Even though it is small, it also feels open.

Here's my prep space, stove to the right

stepping back(the fridge is to the left of the micro)

if you turn around there is the table, a fold up table is added to make a square, and it's set for Thanksgiving for 13 people. To the left of those shelves along the wall is the woodstove.

Oh yeah, I had a friend who's hubby made neat little shelves that ran along over the top of the doorways in her kitchen which she used for pantry space.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Since you are capable, I'd personally build floor to ceiling pantry type cabinets, with the wire rack drawers or shelf drawers like this http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1507 wherever there is spare space and not taking too much counter space away.

Mine is about 11x13 with an approx. 8' opening on one side and an approx. 6' opening on another side. One side is set up for all the plumbing and the other side has the stove. When we get this redone, there will be a floor to ceiling pantry by the frige, upper counter, space for window, narrow cabinet on other side of window, narrow lower cabinet, dishwasher, sink cabinet and another narrow cabinet. Flipside, upper/lower cabinets with stove on one side, then at the other far side across from the frig will be another floor to ceiling pantry cabinet. It'll take away from the counter space, but there is so much I'm willing to sacrifice it for the storage space. You may not think you need that much storage space, but it's better to have too much than too little with unknown need for the future.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
not much help with cabinet placement .
when we redo our kitchen Im going to make it completely water proof .
white dairy panels on the walls and ceiling tiled or poured floor , stainless steel counters and cabinets .
that way when its time to clean I can use the pressure washer and let it all go down the floor drain :)
should do the bath rooms the same way

·
Premium Member
42,674 Posts
I love the doors. Did you make them if so was the hardware off the shelf or ordered?
I made the doors except the one going out the back, that one I swapped a wood heating stove for. the hardware is pretty much off the shelves of the thrift shops and antique stores. the big strap hinges on the front door I made.

Now you have open to the floor storage in the kitchen do you live in an area that has road dust? That is a concern of mine. I heat with wood and the area is sandy. In the summer our driveway/road is traveled quite abit by heavy truck hauling salmon. The dust is an issue.
We dont have much road dust, but we have plenty of dust just the same, the plan for the shelving under the sink is to hang some lil curtains, just havent gotten there yet. No wood smoke to bother with either, we have a natural gas well so everything is run off gas.

Also your cabin is like many of the real AK cabin here.
Well, Now I know what a real AK cabin is like! lol I built this one using the old appalachian cabin style. I had hoped to be able to find an old one to reconstruct but they have become far too pricey for me so I purchased logs from the local logging company, had them delivered to the farm and got busy.

I will try and get a photo or drawings or something.
Please do, would love to see what you all have going on.

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
We plan on expanding our tiny kitchen at the ranch, so I am designing my new one at the Ikea website. They have a downloadable kitchen planning tool for free here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen . I don't know if I'll buy their cabinets or not, because I really like antique Americana and most of their look is Danish/modern. But at this site you can input your measurements and plan the layout.

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
Our kitchen is also "not so big" but its very functional -especially with the big wide island that separates the cooking area from the rest of the great room/living room/ dining room combined areas.

I LOVE this kitchen! It has a tiny footprint, but that island gives you a ton of usable counter space!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
and STORAGE space in it -Cabin Fever and I both can BOTH squeeze in there -don't ask. :eek:

LOLROF, you should have seen the family and I squeeze in our TINY German apartment kitchen, that was a one butt kitchen for sure. If I find time and pictures, I'll scan them in and post. I don't miss that kitchen for sure.

I agree, order the quality equipment for the heavy duty working shelves/drawers. Rockler's is one of our drool catalogs, *sigh* some day.

:D Reese

1 - 11 of 11 Posts