Help needed on power windows

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by clovis, Jan 9, 2007.

1. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I have a 98 Monte Carlo and the driver window will not go back up.

Will power down, but not up.

I haven't had any problems or forewarnings with this...it has been a great car!

The passenger window comes up and down...it has been slow for a long time.

The motor does not make any noise at all when the switch is activated, so I don't think it is a track or motor problem.

One single fuse for both windows, so I don't think that is the problem.

What makes this so bad...I HAVE to be at an appointment tonight in the rough part of Indianapolis.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

clove

2. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Check for either a bad switch or a broken wire going from the door to the main part of the car.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ [​IMG]

3. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

If you can hear the motor trying to raise the window, try pushing the window up by hand while holding the switch. More than likely a bad/weak motor. Not too $$ if you can do the work yourself.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Unscrew the cover off the switch access area, look for a spade clip that has failed to remain attached. This has happend to me before.

5. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

If it's not the switch, cut open the rubber sleeve in the door jamb of the drivers door and look for a broken wire. The window wires are thicker and don't take bending as well and break.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Hold the switch in the up position and rap the bottom of the door with a rubber mallet while holding the switch. Many times the motor just needs to be jarred to get it's brushes to make contact with another spot of the armature. If no rubber mallet a hunk of wood will do, just don't damage the door. If this works it's a temporary fix as the motor will need replacement.

7. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the help!!!

I got desperate, and have had a super stressful week, so I took it to my mechanic. He is extremely good, and very, very meticulous. When he repairs a car, everything goes back exactly like it should...no cobling or jack-legging of any kind.

Turns out that the motor was bad. He did test the switch to make sure it and the wiring was working.

The motor as an aftermarket part cost $50. I send a TON of work to him, so he usually charges me less than $20 an hour, if you can believe that.

Again, thank you for your replies!!!!
    clove