Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Need Help!! Hubby And I Are Spltting, I Need To Find Somewhere To Go, Along With My Children, Goats, Chickens, And Rabbits. Would Like To Stay In Central Mich, But Would Look Elsewhere. If I Move Too Far, I Would Need Help Moving. I Really Don't Want To Uproot The Kids If I Don't Have To...

[Moderator edited out personal contact information -- please contact OP via PM if you are able to help]

Renee

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
go to court, and fight to get the house and property for the kids welfare.

dont just "pack up and move", he owes you a home and stability for his kids.

let HIM go find an appartment to live in.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
comfortablynumb said:
go to court, and fight to get the house and property for the kids welfare.

dont just "pack up and move", he owes you a home and stability for his kids.

let HIM go find an appartment to live in.
My philosophy is whoever has the idea to "split up" gets the privilege of moving out. You don't like something, you leave.

I don't have any recommendations other than how about marriage counseling?

donsgal

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
no whoevers idea it was, the house and lands stay intact for the children.

mom or dad as to leave thats their fight based on whos at fault.

what I fear from this short post of the OP's is, shes getting chased out with kids in tow unfairly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stay put ! ! UNLESS you or the children are in danger. don't allow him to "run you out on a rail". Sorry, been there done that and it was the biggest mistake of my life. Fight for what rightfully belongs to your children. Don't let him take their home away. 30 years ago I left a 100 acre farm with a mortgage of $400 dollars a month...because my pride didn't want anything of his. What I wouldn't give for that right now. It would be free and clear...You can't even get a decent rental for that money today. Think of the future...

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
If you haven't filed yet, do it. HE CAN TAKE YOUR CHILDREN if he files first and you will have to fight for them in court. Children are often used as bait or punishment in divorce cases. You don't need an attorney to file. When you file, you grab the house and the kids and temporary child support. Friend of the Court has a system for computing how much the noncustodial parent must pay, don't let your husband jerk you around.

When you get an attorney, get a good one. Someone who cares. If you'd like, I can ask my sister, whose an attorney here in the thumb, if she can recommend someone where you are.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ditto on getting a GOOD lawyer. I've had good luck asking a bunch of legal secretaries who they'd hire to do their divorce, also ask the law librarian. The money you spend on a good lawyer will be returned to you MANY times.

Hang tough. I know things look bad, but it gets better, and you *are* strong enough. Any mother is.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm not too sure it's a good idea to put your phone number up there - you could request any one who may be able to help send you a private message and then you can give them the number if you want to.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow, bunch of angry people mad at men here...anyone ever think maybe she wants out. Maybe out of the marriage too? Anyway, she didn't ask for marriage counseling here either she's looking for a homestead. Renee best of luck getting that homestead.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
What a bunch of jump to conclusion busy bodies. No information at all about the situation other then the facts that they are splitting up, she's looking for a place to keep her animals, and she'd prefer not to uproot the kids. From that ya'll have the man tried and convicted. How about get some facts first and/or just answer the question posed.

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
when you have kids, the kids get the house eve if the wife gets it too.

that the drawbck of having kids whe your a man.... they get your house.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Maura said:
Friend of the Court has a system for computing how much the noncustodial parent must pay, don't let your husband jerk you around.
Back when I was paying it here in Florida it was up to 24% of how much I made.
And I agree with some others here way to many jumped right on the guy was in the wrong. Sure he may be but we do not know that. In my case I stayed 100% in the right yet I still gave her the home and payed for all bills for a while until she got on her feet. Lucky for me as I now have a wonderful wife and we are going on 21 years of marriage.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm not in your area, But if your looking to rent a place and you need it fast. Look in the news paper, call a restate agent/ rental company they may have something.
Also ask around at your feed store, feed store people know everyone and might have a lead for you.
Good luck and i wish you the best. Sorry i couldn't be of more help to you.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Farmerwilly2 said:
What a bunch of jump to conclusion busy bodies. No information at all about the situation other then the facts that they are splitting up, she's looking for a place to keep her animals, and she'd prefer not to uproot the kids. From that ya'll have the man tried and convicted. How about get some facts first and/or just answer the question posed.
Couldn't have said it any better...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Call legal assistance and ask for a consultation. They can tell you whether or not you SHOULD leave the house. I know things look bleak right now, but staying put might protect you and your kids later on. As for finding a place fast-ask the local farmers in your area if they have cottages or acreage available to lease. Or if they know of anyone who needs a caretaker for their properties for a while. You never know where you might find your next miracle.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
In some states even if you file for divorce you cannot throw your spouse out . See a lawyer and see what you can do . I agree if you have the kids he should be the one to leave.

Patty

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I don't have an opinion about whether you or he should leave as I don't feel that I have enough information. However, if you do end up leaving, be aware that most states limit the geographic distance that a spouse with 'custody' of children created during a marriage can relocate with those children. Even if you did move, say even 100 miles away, you might be responsible for your children's father's expenses involved in his visitation with his children. This is precisely why I'm in N. E. Ohio - the courts wouldn't allow my wife to move the children any further than a location in an adjacent county to her ex's residence.

And Patty's right - Ohio is that way. Both spouses have the right to continue to reside at the family residence until the divorce is final - unless it's stipulated differently in a separation agreement; and one of the parties would have to show cause (abuse, drug use, etc) to have that happen.

And Charles is right - remove your phone # from your post..

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
Are you renting?

Whoever leaves the home in AZ is considered as abandoning the property. You might want to consider staying until the process is completed, however difficult that may be.

Consider the effect of a divorce & moving on the children. One of the two is traumatic enough. Moving is a process that takes time when you have children & want homestead property unless you want to uproot them more than once.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts