Help!need bug ID, have been stung/bit

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gnatgnome, Jul 1, 2005.

1. gnatgnome

gnatgnome Well-Known Member

I felt a burning stinging sensation in my foot, like a hot large needle stabed me. I took off my sock and examined my toe. DH turned my sock inside out and found a beetle, it had been living in my sock with me all day. He squished it while I dug around for the meat tenderizer to put on the bite. (No I was not trying to make myself more tasty.) After I was able to walk again, I wanted to see what got me. From what was left after squishing, it was a little over a half inch long, black, a tiny,tiny head with one curved sharp spike coming down from it. I guess the curved spike it was it shoved into my foot. It has been about an hour and my big toe is still killing me. I tried to look up different types of beetles to ID it but could not find one that looked like it. After seeing all the pictures of what happened to people with spider bites I am freaking out about this freaky bug and loosing my toe. I know I am over-reacting, but my toe hurts like a ":soap:" . Anybody got a clue what the thing was before I don't wake up in the morning? :rolleyes: Thanks Denise

2. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

don't have a clue what kind of beetle that was, but try some plain toothpaste next time (not gel) and see if that pulls the sting out faster-

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Search for 'rhino beetle', that may be the spiked one. They are common in the south but not known for stinging.

4. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Well how's your toe doing? Did you ever identify it?

5. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Rhinoceros beetles and stag beetles only use their horns on other male stag or rhino beetles. They don't bite or sting, just eat decaying vegetable matter.
    Did it have the shape of a pumpkin seed and look flat with orange edges. You may have met up with an assassin bug...Mean little mothers.

6. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

DW was bitten by a assassin bug (wheel bug) 2 weeks ago - she eventually had to go to the Dr. because her bite (twice) seemed to cause her finger to swell and turn blue. The Dr. thought at first it was a recluse bite because it appeared that the flesh was decomposed looking - he prescribed antibiotic, steroids, and anti-histamine. It started clearing up the next day and is now in the process of healing. She sat on one last year (riding lawn-mower) and it didn't seem to affect her that dramatically. I guess it depends on the location and severity??? She said it felt like a scorpion but the pain quickly went away but the swelling started the next day.
    Good Luck.

7. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

A predator "bug" like an assassin or wheel bug is a pretty good guess. Can be very painful. Beneficial critters - unless in your sock! Hope your toe gets to feeling better...

8. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Do you have any Benedryl cream you can put on it? Sometimes, at the store, you can find an OTC first aide cream with some benzocaine in it to help with the pain, also.

9. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Stag beetles DO bite! I watched one land on my arm and bite me twice. Bled like the dickens and hurt too. I'm no sissy, but it brought tears to my eyes. Left scars, too.

10. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

11. gnatgnome

gnatgnome Well-Known Member

I think the Wheel bug was it. The face sure looks familiar, and the description of the pain being 10 times that of a wasp is accurate. The body in the picture didn't look exactly the same but I had to look at a squished corpse in a mangled kleenex to see what it looked like so the head was the only thing recognizable. I guess I'll live :rolleyes: , with all 10 toes intact. The pain is now gone and my toe just feels a little weird. Thanks for the ID and additional info. Sure glad I wasn't allergic. Denise

12. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Good thing you're on the mend. I was about to suggest you call a toe truck.

13. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

:D Good one!!!! LOL

And call the little piggies to drive it!

Glad you're feeling better

14. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!!!! Caught me by surprise and I'm still laughing!

LQ