Help My Pygmy Has A Strange Bump

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Bunbun, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Bunbun

Bunbun Well-Known Member

I noticed this bump on her the other day not sure what it is. The bump is about an inch round and 1/2 inch tall it has a bald spot in the middle, Its in the upper part of her neck just below the jaw. the bump is hard and now Squishy. I see no signs of infection in it. SHe did not have this when I bought her it just sheemed to happen over night. I just bought her a few weeks ago from a breeder who was retiring from her herd of 60 bacause she lost her kids this year. She is approx. 8 or 9 years old. I did wormer her yesterday after picking up some tips and reading some old post about worming. SHe is eating and acting normal. I just want to give "Nanners" a good pet home I am never going to milker her or do any breading I think she deserves a good retirment life her with my BF, me and my Quater horses and another goat companion once I clear up this issue.

PS I do have a picture of this bump since I am a new member I guess they wont let me post an attachment. or give me some tips on how I can pit this pic on would be good also.
    Thank you
    Stacey

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Im not an expert but you should check out the sticky here about CL. I know that it most commonly presents as a neck bump just below the jaw. It is EXTREMELY contageous and has no cure. Please, if nothing else, isolate her until you figure out what is going on. I have heard that once the bulge pops it contaminates your soil and everything it touches for many years!!! Not to scare you, but just be cautious about a lump in that area.
    SORRY I CANT BE MORE HELP =+(

3. Bunbun

Bunbun Well-Known Member

Well From reading that the lump is more in the thyroid area or where the Wattles are. Not where the common places for CL

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Bunbun-- just to make you feel better I have had the Vet look at three lumps during the past year and all three were not CL. My Vet specifically showed me where CL lumps could develop so that I could start diagnosing and save a few dollars. I've had lumps on the neck, jaw and chest region all negative for CL and all have disappeared with time or lancing. Hope this helps...Tennessee John

5. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

An easy way to post a pic is to upload it to free hosting service such as imageshack When you upload at imageshack there is a box to check so the image will be resized to fit the forum. Check the box, click on upload and wait for the addy to appear. There will be a list of addresses for you to choose from. I think some of them say they are for forums, ignore that, pick the one that says "Direct link to image". Copy that link and bring it here to post.

To post it here: The image link can be found when you go to advanced editing. Look right above the white text box where you type your message and you'll find 7 little images (under the boxes that say "size" & "color"). The first little image is the one for posting pictures. Click on it, it will guide you thru the process.

I hope this helps you post the image.

6. Bunbun

Bunbun Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thank you soo much for telling me about that site! Hope this works!
    This is the bump I'm talking about hope this helps anyone who might know what it is?

7. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Bunbun--Looks like she got jabbed with a piece of metal wire, wood splinter, thorn, and less likely butted by a herd member with horns. The amount of hair loss is a mystery. I have seen minimal hair loss at the point of entry by a foreign object but never that much. CL well it's not the spot by Vet pointed out, but please don't take our word for it, have the animal checked out by your local Vet for piece of mind...Tennessee John

8. Bunbun

Bunbun Well-Known Member

Well I know she must be infested with worms because today When I went out to check her I saw worms in the poo. But still no differance in that bump. I'm going to have a talk with the breeder today then see what she might have to offer and I should be having the vet come out this following week to check my Qtr Mare see if she took in her breeding and look at Nanners as well.